Did They Really Just Play That?

Similar to this? @stmookeyj027

There may be a few orchestral versions with it being in a musical.

1 Like

P!nk’s new single “Walk Me Home” was played on B-Rock a few days ago. I could maybe give them leeway for playing her earlier songs like “Rockstar” or “Just Like a Pill” (even though they’re pop-orientated more than anything), but “Walk Me Home” just doesn’t belong on a station like B-Rock.

5 Likes

Whilst in Adelaide this week, I was thinking how similar the 5MMM playlist was to 2MMM, but then tonight I heard this

I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight - Cutting Crew

Having said that, it’s a reasonably rocky song, 2MMM could do worse than play this?

1 Like

MMM Greatest Hits just played the album version of Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind, complete with the ‘crystal meth’ line uncensored and the additional verse.

Have never heard the full version on radio before.

3 Likes

Hearing this one on WSFM surprised me a bit…

Mr Brightside - The Killers

Apart from Kings Of Leon, they don’t really play any ‘modern rock’ as such.

2 Likes

That one is becoming somewhat regular on Gold 104.3.

4 Likes

It’s worse hearing Gotye / Kimbra - Somebody That I Used To Know. 2012 wasn’t that long ago!

3 Likes

I’ve even heard Riptide by Vance Joy on Gold, released in 2013 (with the peak chart position in 2014!)

Way too new I think.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that one on Gold too… I believe that’s the current clubhouse leader for “newest song played on a Pure Gold station”

2 Likes

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie by Baccara lasts night on 4KQ. Can’t remember the last time I heard that get some AirPlay.

2 Likes

When 3KZ became Gold 104 in October 1991, they played only songs from the 60s and 70s (and a little bit of 50s rock and roll such as Elvis and Bill Haley) in the 90s, the newest song was originally released in 1979 (12 years since). Now Gold 104.3 plays 80s and 90s (and a little bit of 70s) in the 2010s, as above Riptide was only 5 years old, as we come to 2020 they will play more 2000s and early 2010s.

4 Likes

In the 90s 4KQ had the “Greatest Memories, Latest Hits” format and played a small percentage of recent hits while predominantly playing 60s, 70s and 80s.

Similarly 4BK in the late 80s played current softer hits along with predominantly classic hits.

I have no problem with KQ, WS or Gold playing a small percentage of recent music. It all depends on the song choice though. I don’t particularly like the choice of newer music Gold and WS play.

5 Likes

IMO, the Pure Gold stations shouldn’t be playing anything newer than about 2004-05.

1 Like

Yeah I have to disagree. I don’t think people over 40 or 50 don’t want to hear any new music. How many 50yo’s like Adele - lots.

6 Likes

OMC,”How Bizarre “ Triple M this week. I wouldn’t call this one a rock hit

5 Likes

Mix 106.3 played “Hot N Cold” by Katy Perry a while ago, and it was the uncensored version (with “like a b**ch” rather than “like a chick”).

2 Likes

Heard a great Ian Moss track I hadn’t heard in a long time on MMM Aussie when I was flicking through today.

2 Likes

don;t think i mentioned it but when kinderlig first started they played get lucky by daft punk. surely not appropriate for a kids station given the meaning behind the lyrics

1 Like

Which song was that?

1 Like

‘Out Of The Fire’ or ‘Telephone Booth’, perhaps?

The whole of Ian Moss’s Matchbook album is great.

4 Likes