Did They Really Just Play That?

I think it was used for an insurance ad recently; that may have started it.

2 Likes

young person here. I guess the overlap between uni and high schooler has increased. The Horses is always a staple at any uni party (3rd to last song, before Mr. Brightside and Hey Baby!).

Like Eagle Rock, it’s got this whole ‘aura’ around it - Pants off for eagle rock, while The Horses begins with a huddle during the versus (where two people lift each other up and do a dance of some sort in the middle of the circle) which turns into a full on mosh at all chorus. I guess The Horses has been that bad smell that just stuck around.

I tend to agree - I love that song, but only when I’m well plastered. Not too sure how the younger kids tolerate it. They might just hear it from older siblings/friends or see the trend on Spotify and go with it. That’s the mystery with a good meme, no one really knows why they became so popular.

2 Likes

I don’t know why Horses is getting a lot of action on social media, but I think the song is quite good.

One thing I just remembered from about 2 weeks ago - 2DAY played Oh What A Night by The Four Seasons, around 1pm on Friday 1 December.

I think it was the 1993 remix version, but it was incredibly out of place. Fast paced, energetic dance music followed by a song that would be at home on Smooth or 2CH.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to a uni party for a good 6 years now but here in NZ. It’s usually Angels by Robbie Williams to finish at most house/Work parties I go to. Although at our work Xmas party the other week, The Gambler was last (it was Cowboy themed though).

The Voice by Farnham usually gets a go late on too.

3 Likes

Uni parties have most certainly changed since my day…

1 Like

“Too Much Fandango” by Ritzi on 2CH Sydney, sometime around 11:30pm last night. Very cool (and rare!) one-hit wonder.

3 Likes

Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up - River 949

5 Likes

A seemingly out of format song selection on Triple M Sydney right now

If I Could - 1927

1 Like

It’s out of format if it’s actually a SONG on Triple M these days. I expect cricket or uninformed talkback shows.

1 Like

Besides nominating the entirety of 2DayFM’s playlist today, 4ever - The Veronicas on WSFM this afternoon!

2 Likes

On Saturday I heard two old Veronicas songs on 2Day and that was after hearing a different one on Friday too.

1 Like

Not really a song but Logan 101 played Desiderata last week - the original, thankfully not the Kamahl version.

Kamhal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last Friday on KIIS 101.1 Melbourne:
Better Man - Pearl Jam
Stuck out like a sore thumb, even though it was part of the KiIStory double play. Very out of KIIS’s format!

1 Like

Bye Bye Baby - Bay City Rollers on Triple M (Fraser Coast).

3 Likes

Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac on Triple M Brisbane right now. Assume its across the network as its on Luke Bona’s show.

Nice to see some ‘off album’ tracks

6 Likes

92.7 Mix FM had the ‘Stinking 70s’ this morning. Some ‘highlights’

Rak Off Normie - Maureen Elkner
Tie A Yellow Ribbon - Dawn
LA International Airport - Susan Raye
Farewell Aunty Jack - Grahame Bond

Certainly had a few of us in the office this morning secretly singing away

3 Likes

Sweet child of Mine Guns and Roses . 2dayfm.

1 Like

Well, they do claim to play “More Music, More Variety”.

I can’t really complain that they don’t.

2DAY also played Crowded House’s “Better Be Home Soon” this afternoon.

That rekindled a fond radio memory for me, as it was the first time I’ve heard that song on that frequency since I went up to Expo 88 and heard it on FM104, and on the same frequency again on the way back home on 2CHY.

3 Likes

I have no doubt 2DAY would’ve played that song back when it was a hit, given it would’ve fitted the station’s format at the time, which was AC. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2MMM played that song back then too, as both 2DAY & 2MMM were competing with each other, plus the fact that 2MMM effectively became a part-time Top 40 station after 2SM became Light & Easy 1269 in April 1988.

2 Likes

“Babooska” ,Kate Bush on Triple M Brisbane today ,

4 Likes