Did They Really Just Play That?

YMCA - Village People

Right now on 2DAY FM !!

Probably something to do with the Mardi Gras being on this weekend.

3 Likes

Las Ketchup - The Ketchup Song on 97.3FM last night

1 Like

Theyā€™re using the call sign 2Gay FM again this year and playing a lot of dance music today.

1 Like

The bottom line - Big Audio Dynamite SWR FM. Never heard the song before but its great they dig up songs like these.

Second Chance - 38 Special

Currently playing on 2DAY ā€¦ Even on their new format, not a song Iā€™d thought they would play.

Itā€™s smack bang in the middle of WS or GOLD territory.

2 Likes

Macho Man - Village People

Heard at the SAME TIME on Coles Radio and FUN Digital in Sydney earlier tonight.

A song you rarely hear on FM, so I would have thought the chances of hearing that on the radio on 2 different stations at the same time would have been very slim, even if they are digital stations.

2 Likes

I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston on Hit 96.9 this morning.

2 Likes

A bit strange for a regional hit station to be playing 80ā€™s music.

2 Likes

I reckon there should be more of it on the regional Hit stations, particularly given the amount of talk and sport on Triple M.
I also think that particular song is pretty timeless in a way. I heard it recently in a movie aimed squarely at teenagers/young adults.

3 Likes

Agree, if the regional Hit stations played more 80ā€™s music, I may start listening to the station again.

3 Likes

The regional Star FMs played quite a bit of 80s music in the early 2000s at a time when the 80s were largely shunned on AC stations around Sydney. I could definitely see some of the poppier and dancier 80s tunes (Prince, Madonna, MJ) getting a run. The rockier 80s hits are played on MMM of course.

4 Likes

2DAY FM just played the country music version of Shania Twainā€™s ā€œIf Youā€™re Not In It For Loveā€ as opposed to the pop version.

Odd choice in my view.

2 Likes

Again probably another song that would play well on regional Hit stations. Maybe they are using 2day as a bit of a model of how they might tweak the regional Hit stations during the day at least.

1 Like

96 Tears- ? AND THE MYSTERIANS
Living In The Past- JETHRO TULL

Both on The Breezeā€™s log this morning. These tracks are better suited to Rebel, especially the former which is regarded as one of the first proto-punk songs. I really love both tracks though so I donā€™t care which station theyā€™re played on.

I would suggest itā€™s not an intentional effort to play that version, and more likely either an inexperienced MD on Selector, or their new music library in Zetta not having the ā€œknownā€ version.

Today I heard the non Norman Cook remix of ā€œBrimful Of Ashaā€ by Cornershop on 2Day. It was never a hit, and not the version everyone knows.

2 Likes

What A Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers

On iHeart Radio The 80s DAB.

A song recorded in 1978, released in early 1979ā€¦
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Still, I suppose Iā€™ve seen worseā€¦

4 Likes

Earlier tonight I heard the following song on Brisbane Youth Radio (1197 and DAB).

And She Was - Talking Heads

Iā€™d like to know just HOW does a song thatā€™s over 30 years old relate to youth?

3 Likes

Heard Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band in Smooth FM this morning. Fantastic song but hardly what Iā€™d consider ā€œSmooth/Easy Listeningā€

1 Like

I think itā€™s mellow enough for Smoothā€¦
I wouldnā€™t expect them to play ā€œJet Airlinerā€ or ā€œRock N Meā€ā€™ though.
They are a bit rockier than ā€œAbracadabraā€.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s just mellow enough for Smooth. Itā€™s a bit ā€œsoul/r&bā€ in sound even though itā€™s not considered r&b I guess. They play this one on LA station The Wave, which is an easy listening station but leans toward soul hits (eg Stevie Wonder, some Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin)

4 Likes