Did They Really Just Play That?

As a (late) 40 something myself, I reckon they were 30 somethings if they got off on that particular song.

2 Likes

I remember reading an article in R&R back in the 1990sā€¦

Virtually every demographic gets stuck in the music of when they were 15-18 (particularly Summer music).

Theyā€™ll listen to it for the rest of their livesā€¦

The research in R&R found one exception however. Apparently Black males for some reason have no special affinity to the music when they were late teens, any more than any other music at any other time during their lives.

4 Likes

I know the feelingā€¦

I am stuck in the music of 1984-89ā€¦

Itā€™s true. Iā€™m just lucky the best music ever was around in 1983 - 1986. True :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I must be the youngest person hereā€¦ Iā€™m stuck in the early to mid 2000sā€¦

Oh god, I hope not! I was 15-18 between 2014 - 2017. The music of this decade has been awful! :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Yes I think that rule stopped working around 2000 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me, music started going downhill in the early 90s.

2 Likes

I agree it started going downhill for me too a bit in the 90s but really hit the skids in the 00s :slight_smile:
I really did like 60s and 70s and loved the 80s
The turning point was The Only Way Is Up (Yazz) in 1988 - prophetically it was the start of a long decline LOL

3 Likes

For me, it was bands like Technotronic (ie. ā€œPump Up The Jamā€) and Black Box (ā€œRide On Timeā€) that started the decline.

Milli Vanilli was another blot on early 90s music, not so much for the music itself though.

2 Likes

I am in my early 40ā€™s and I would say it went down hill from about the late 00ā€™s.

I agree. Music went downhill pretty much around the time Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera became popular.

3 Likes

Oh yes, Pump Up The Jam was another watershed moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely - Yazz were a ā€˜poormanā€™sā€™ Yazoo.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not really true in my case, I feel I enjoy the music between 1997-2000 when I was 11 to 14 years old, rather then between 2001-2004 when I was 15 to 18 years old.

Of the 1200+ songs in my collection just 140 were released after I left university (post 2006), 27 were released from 2014 onward and NONE from 2017. Iā€™m usually shocked if any of those songs pre 2006 are played once a month within regular rotations on radio.

3 Likes

Iā€™m exactly the same age as you are; I enjoy Top 40 music from 1980-1993 the most. I much prefer 60s and 70s pop to anything after about 1998 but I mostly listen to album music from these decades. The chart music from 2001-2004 is mostly diabolical.

3 Likes

Heard the following song on ABC Sydney last night during Chris Bathā€™s evening programā€¦

I Feel For You - Chaka Khan

I donā€™t think there was any connection between the song and anything Chris was talking about, just seemed an odd choice for their audience with the rap bit in it.

2 Likes

Another oddity from 94.9 Power FM. Yesterday morning, they played Nirvanaā€™s MTV Unplugged performance of ā€œAbout a Girlā€. As soon as it came on, I turned up the volume straight away! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just after 6PM last night, ā€œGreatest Years in Musicā€ played a ā€œClassic Vinylā€ segment featuring Bon Joviā€™s album ā€œKeep the Faithā€. The second song played was ā€œSleep When Iā€™m Deadā€, which was followed up when the segment finished byā€¦ā€œSleep When Iā€™m Deadā€. I know the playlist on the MMM Local Works network is getting repetitive but seriously surely someone played the segment to at least work out what was being played, surelyā€¦

4 Likes