Did They Really Just Play That?

Shockingly A Current Affair used it as a backing track for their weather update before they finished the show last night…

2 Likes

I would rather hear “Here Comes September” by Waikiki- does anyone remember that?

2 Likes

I remember hearing it when I was a regular JJJ listener back in 2002. In fact, that song reach #36 on that year’s Hottest 100 & also features Ben Lee on backing vocals. It also spent one week on the ARIA Top 50 at #38.

1 Like

Many months of a year have a well known song (or two) attached to them…

This is just off the top of my head…

January - Pilot
April Sun In Cuba - Dragon
Maggie May - Rod Stewart (though the ‘May’ here probably doesn’t refer to the actual month)
October Grey - Screaming Jets
November Rain - Guns N Roses
December - Collective Soul

There was also a Swedish singer called September, who had the minor hit “Cry For You” in 2005.

2 Likes

Green Day also had a song called “Wake Me Up When September Ends”, which was a successful hit back in 2004.

2 Likes

94.9 Power FM played Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged performance of “All Apologies” about an hour ago. It was a pleasant surprise! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At 10:50 PM last night, the MMM regional network may have heard this song that I can’t recall ever being played on mainstream commercial radio since release…

5 Likes

Hmm certainly wasn’t played a lot in Australia anyway. I recall hearing it a bit in the UK though.

I heard the following song on Sydney youth station FBi 94.5 this afternoon that I wasn’t expecting

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

1 Like

Gee how many “youth stations” does Sydney need?
Nova, 2day, Edge, KIIS, JJJ and FBi?

4 Likes

Sydney is ‘overserved’ of youth stations & is therefore ‘underserved’ of adult music stations.

It’s little wonder why WS & Smooth are among the Top 3 highest rating FM stations in Sydney.

5 Likes

2ST played “I’m a Believer” by Smash Mouth a couple of weeks ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To be fair, WSFM & Gold 104.3 play that song quite regularly. The original version by The Monkees are now more or less reserved for Smooth, Triple M’s “Classic Hits” stations (in some regional markets) & the AM stations.

2 Likes

The Smash Mouth version shouldn’t be played on any station at any time as far as I’m concerned :exploding_head:.

8 Likes

I agree. Instant station changer

This is a song that Triple M Sydney is currently playing that I wasn’t expecting to hear:

Cool For Cats - UK Squeeze

11.50am this morning - Rocky Point Road, Sans Souci - at a set of traffic lights:

A group of four 40 somethings with the windows down yelling “Everybody in the house of love, everybody in the house of love, one love, one God, everybody in the house of love…”

East 17.

Surely this was a recording. I checked my radio. It was playing on 2DayFM. It sure provided four people with a fun 4 minutes and 53 seconds.

3 Likes

Nice feel good story, though I don’t think it’s that unusual for 2DAY to play a 90s hit…?

1 Like

Euuu… those 40yos must be on something :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well they did say they were on Rocky Point Road…

1 Like