Dancing with the Stars

Loving Strictly on the BBC at the moment. I hope we get to see some of the pro dancers over here next year. Here’s the opener:

1 Like

Great opener, that set is amazing too. This show is not really my cup of tea, but will be interested to see how Ten re-invent it next year.

1 Like

The thing I’m loving about Strictly is how shameless they are with the “hotness” of the pro dancers, and matching them up with the “Stars”. It brings out the giggly school girl in you.

Also interesting is that one of the judges is Australian, and one of the choreographers is Jason Gilkison (ex SYTYCDAU)

‘Dancing With The Stars is coming and that is something that would actually challenge me and besides, it is a great way to get super fit and I need a revenge body,’ she declared.

Former reality show “stars” are what killed the show in the first place and now a couple of them are already headlining this show. Yuck.

3 Likes

With Married at First Sight guy rumoured for I’m A Celeb, I think we just have to accept that the definition for ‘star’ and ‘celebrity’ in 2018 also includes irrelevant reality contestants. Unfortunately.

1 Like

Moreso than actual celebrities, it would seem.

1 Like

This is an odd show for Ten to do as it generally skewed older which Ten don’t usually target. I actually thought Seven might try and revive it given a lot of their offerings this year have failed.

Keira would have to be the most popular/talked about contestant to come out of The Bachelor so it makes sense to put her on there, particularly with it being on Ten and they will want to target younger demos (when DWTS typically skewed older). Also the fact is most Ten viewers would know Keira than most other names they could pull. Although personally I would prefer to see her on Bachelor in Paradise than this.

Yawn.

1 Like

Let’s be honest, most (but not all, to be fair) of this country’s actual celebrities probably long ago moved to the US or UK in a bid to further their careers in ways they quite simply couldn’t here.

1 Like

Most? that’s a big call. Are you saying that you are only a celebrity if you make a name for yourself overseas?

I can’t wait for it to be debated over and over again here and on social media what constitutes a celebrity and what doesn’t.

2 Likes

In my mind, a celebrity is a famous person. I just don’t think a contestant on a reality show qualifies.

Maybe someone who appears on a number of them and is therefore a reality show whore does qualify :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , but normally, appearing on one reality show does not make you a celebrity.

2 Likes

Not entirely, but it does have to be said there’s this thing here in Australia called the tall poppy syndrome which probably makes some home grown celebrities feel they’ve got to go overseas to make a name for themselves.

Knowing what previous seasons of Dancing With The Stars and other Australian versions of celebrity-themed reality shows have been like in the way of contestants (less “celebrity” and more "people you’ve vaguely heard of in the media), for the revival series of DWTS on Ten I’d probably expect at least two ex-Bachelor/ette contestants, probably a former footy player or two and of course, some general network personalities.

Just the thought of ‘stars’ like Ash Pollard from MKR on DWTS is shuddering. Those ‘reality’ show contestants are basically nobodies in the celebrity world.

2 Likes

No Masterchef? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Although I agree with you Jbar, does Australian have enough celebrities (that haven’t done this show) to get on this show that haven’t appeared on a reality show?

And in the defense of the show its not Dancing with the Celebrities its Dancing with the Stars. And I guess Kierra is a reality star - just one you might not like.

2 Likes

She’s one of the reality show whores I was talking about so she qualifies. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually think Ten have a huge array of celebrities to pick from considering most of them from Ten (and Eleven) shows would not have been allowed to compete on Seven.

I don’t have a problem with a reality TV show contestant as past of the cast. There were a couple of Big Brother contestants over the years on Seven’s show without any detrimental effect. There just needs to be a mix. In Australia that usually means the choice is from TV performers (not just actors), ex movie actors, singers, sports people and models plus probably a comedian (they seem to be popular with TV producers at the moment).

Would be very surprised if Todd McKenney wasn’t announced as on of the judges. Makes sense for consistency of brand and he was back on Channel 10s morning show today.

1 Like