Dancing with the Stars

How did you find the picture quality? I thought it was ok, though it did severely pixelate sometimes. Nowhere near as good as watching Netflix on a laptop.

1 Like

I watched on the 10 play live stream via Apple TV and the picture quality was terrible, all the movement was severely pixelated.

By comparison Graham Norton just started and the stream is much better quality, though would be great in HD.

Does anybody know if the first segment was pre-recorded? Watching on 10play and the live watermark didn’t come on until they went to the first prerecorded package 4-5 minutes in.

This comment is not to say that 10 didn’t do a great job. But it ran on 7 for many years compared to pretty much every other reality show in Australia (what 15 seasons?).

Not to say it doesn’t have life in it anymore, but the assertions that 7 did a crap job are short sighted in my opinion. I can’t see it doing much better in the ratings than when 7 cancelled it but that doesn’t means it’s not a success by today’s standards.

3 Likes

Olympia Valance interviewed by Fitzy and Wippa. The finale will be 23 April.

1 Like

My thoughts on this. The vibe did feel a bit more modern and fresh to channel Seven and I loved the studio. The best thing for me was the judging panel. Fresh faces who were interesting and entertaining. I am glad they went with relatively unknowns to the general public which might give these guys a chance to build their profiles a bit. It was a great balanced judging panel.

The things that I didn’t like… there were points during some dances that you could see the cameramen on the other side of the dance floor (not sure if this happened on Seven but I don’t think so). I thought that felt a tad tacky. Also it did drag a bit and I feel like having long intro packages with people rehearsing before each dance feels a bit out-dated. I’m not sure how to improve it but 1min short and sharp intro’s of each contestant was probably all we needed especially when there are still so many contestants.

All in all though I thought it was decent for a first show. I will be back for more. I’m not sure I could sit down and watch the full 2 hours but it’s the type of show I don’t mind having on in the background whilst doing some other things.

2 Likes

Saw the ratings on TV Tonight, without saying the numbers , it did way better than Changing Rooms lol obviously and even beat Home and Away :open_mouth:

621K for a debut. Not bad.

Yeah isn’t that around the numbers Survivor was getting? Home and Away got 1000 less… not sure if that is good , they dropped 200k at least moving MKR to 7.30pm. I wouldn’t be surprised if MKR is moved back to 7pm .

Survivor was getting around 700K-800K towards the end.

1 Like

But DWTS is longer so finishes much later.

I wouldn’t really say that considering MAFS has been getting a consistent 1.2m

I classify 600k as mediocre and certainly not great.

Come to think about it. If the show was still on Seven then the show might rate relatively higher because:

1. Viewers are usually committed to Nine/Seven compared to 10 due to their wider range of programming output
  2. 10 is generally considered ‘second-rate’ (which I don’t agree) compared to the other two and viewers generally watch the other two by default.

If it was on Seven then it probably would rate about 800K-900K in comparison, but that’s me digressing again. Goes to show that the format still has a bit of life and how stupid Seven was to dump it.

1 Like

A solid if unspectacular number for launch night. I loved the energy of the format last night and even the judges were a lot better than what I thought they would be. It was good old-fashioned fun and Amanda and Grant were bringing a lot of comedy and laughs into the format which was great.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see 9s rating once mafs finishes.

2 Likes

A reminder to the above, we do have a 2019 Ratings Predictions thread for these comments/discussions, which only myself and a couple of others seem to use :slight_smile:

Wrong thread perhaps. I was going to say DWTS is Grant’s most watched thing he’s done at 10… Then realised Family Feud did 600k-s around 2015 and there was also that Australian Spelling Bee which did 900k one or two episodes

IIRC, when it was on Ch7, the host would give the contestants a microphone after their desk. This is something that should happen on the current version. Only something small, overall, pretty good.

Sorry I am a little confused what you mean about after their desk. Do you mean their routine?

Dance*

Well Done to Ten Network for bringing this show back,I’ve missed it since Seven cancelled it.Like the new set,Grant and Amanda are great as hosts.Like the new judging panel also,Craig is just as nasty as Todd was .Why anyone would rather watch MAFS or MKR instead I can’t understand,I hope Ten can pick up more viewers as the show goes on.

10 Likes