Cricket

Final figure was 71k

2 Likes

Australia has just picked their XI for the third and final test at the SCG. Hilton Cartwright is set to debut at the SCG while Steve O’Keefe replaces Jackson Bird.

Does everyone here think that Adelaide Oval is the best stadium in Australia to play cricket/footy? I just read some disgusting comments on Youtube about it being an ‘eyesore’ after the new redevelopment!

Compared to what it did look like previously I can see how some come to the conclusion it’s an eyesore. It was a pretty cricket ground in th village green style previously. Haven’t been there since the redevelopment but it looks like a great stadium to me.

1 Like

It is my favourite stadium in Australia. With that said I can see how some are bitter about the redevelopment as it did cost a lot of South Australians a job in Mount Gambier. Funding was taken from one thing to make money available for the redevelopment.

It’s an interesting mix of the past and the present, but still maintains character which I don’t think the gabba and to a lesser extent the MCG have

If we’re just talking setting alone, Bellerive Oval wins hands down for me. I can’t comment on the facilities themselves, though- I’ll have to defer that to our native Hobartians. The SCG, Gabba, MCG and the soon to be minted Perth Stadium are typical sports colosseums with their own charms, sure, but I prefer the smaller grounds with natural breezes.

What a game of BBL tonight at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium. The Renegades batted first and made 4/222, the highest score in the competition’s short history, only for the Hobart Hurricanes fighting back thanks to a 151-run 3rd wicket partnership between Ben McDermott (114) and George Bailey (59). The Hurricanes lost late wickets but still scored the winning run off the final ball, so they now have the BBL’s highest score and highest successful run chase. According to ESPN Cricinfo, the Hurricanes now has four of the ten highest innings scores plus the top three successful run chases (previous best was 7/210 v Brisbane Heat at the Gabba on December 28, 2013).
Double heartbreak for the Renegades though, after Ashton Agar hit a six also on the last ball to win the match for the Perth Scorchers at the same venue on December 29.

3 Likes

Great game!

Nearly 450 runs scored tonight in 40 overs from both teams.

No wonder Big Bash games are selling out at the moment.

2 Likes

Radio said this morning that every game at the Gabba has sold out this year so far (and that was ABC radio talking about the Big Bash).

2 Likes

Compared to only last year when they were struggling to sell a ticket. Guess that is what happens when you have a team that is successful. Great news.

The Gabba has all the character and culture of a night out at Surfer’s Paradise with a group of people with names ending with -azza; that is, none whatsoever. Just a bland generic oval with no atmosphere.

I fell asleep at a Big Bash game there once. During the 2006 Ashes, I ate four Magnum Classics out of boredom. Love watching the sport, hate experiencing the spectating at the Gabba.

I hate going to sterile sporting grounds (ANZ is another I despise)

I was a little disappointed when I went to the MCG last year, it felt like something was missing - I definitely got the feeling that it would be a pretty lifeless place if the crowd was small

I felt that the last time I went to the MCG. I don’t really like the ground. When there are a lot of people there the atmosphere is great but the ground itself is not a good looking one.

If Cricket Australia were to increase the teams in the BBL and continue to have 8 rounds it would increase the games from 32 to 40. I could see this being quite attractive to networks if it were to either start at the conclusion of the ratings system, or potentially, extended by 8 days to the beginning of February. Having 43 matches would have add extra value to the competition.

That means changes to the Shield and Matador cup. So maybe less FC and List A games?

That is something I didn’t think about. Perhaps more double headers then? Australian weather is so good though that I don’t understand why the cricket season cannot be increased.

When I went to see the debacle (Day 1 of the South African Test) the facilities were OK, nothing special. The Ponting Stand (the one that was most recently built) looks pretty small for the length it was but with the ground virtually being landlocked and net facilities being out the back I guess they couldn’t go with something more substantial. Still it sure beats the WACA which was as bad as anything you’d find at a 3rd division Ammos footy club and I’m guessing in 4 years that it hasn’t improved much.

As for the Adelaide Oval, I’m glad I went before the redevelopment went full scale (at the time of the Australia Day test against India in 2011/2012 IIRC, the members had been just about completed but I sat in the old Chappell Stands on Australia Day). Have only been back once for Footy and whilst the ground was pretty good with decent sight lines my position made it reasonably hard to see the scoreboards (although to be honest given Port were winning I didn’t want to look). Wouldn’t mind a second look. Agree with the Gabba, the better seats are on the top level with the bottom tier not steep enough to see properly but it lacks something that a temporary pool can’t fix. Always loved going to the G with the history of the place in my home town (having touched the hallowed turf is another advantage) but again I think the better seats are higher up.

Poor crowd at the MCG for the ODI. The game will rate well but compared to some of the BBL crowds it seems quite pathetic.

1 Like

Australia’s inability to play the Pakistan spinners at today’s ODI at the MCG isn’t a good sign looking towards India.

A few batsmen got bowled not picking the straight ball.

1 Like