Cricket

They could introduce a team from New Zealand’s Super Smash (@OnAir probably has a hot take related to this)

I’d suggest a team similar in concept to the CA XI, but we’ve seen how well they did in the Matador Cup

I don’t see how this is achievable - in any case, I see the Big Bash as a good way to bring up new talent.

1 Like

The 9th Team will come from Canberra more content for Manuka Oval.

Fair enough, but the GC is the biggest non-capital city. Not to mention Sydney (4.7 mil) and Melbourne (4.4 mil) have two teams but SE Queensland (2.7 mil) has only one. If they’re looking to expand the BBL, a team somewhere in the SEQ corridor is the next biggest logical location by market potential.

Only other region I could see a new team built for would be northern NSW (New England Patriots?).

I like your thinking, but…

1. I don’t think they would be allowed to use that name.
  2. New England refers to Armidale - Tenterfield - Inverell (Northern Tablelands) which is the least populated area of Nth NSW. Hunter Hornets maybe? (that’s what the Knights were going to be called I think?).
  3. There isn’t really a suitable ground. Hunter Stadium and Central Coast Stadiums are both rectangular (designed for the rugby and soccer codes) and No. 1 Sportsground in Newcastle only holds about 7,000, and not much of that is seated. It is a fair way behind Bellerive or Manuka Ovals in terms of facilities.

Haha, I do! I would love for it happen but under virtually any scenario it would mean the NZ domestic competition halts for a month which is difficult. NZ also obviously has its international programme at the same time. I think the best option is to enter a ‘best of the rest’ XI featuring the top players beneath International level but that again takes those players out of domestic responsibilities back home.

I don’t really understand how Matthew Wade keeps getting picked. His form with the bat, and sometimes even behind the stumps, is questionable at the moment.

1 Like

I agree, but I don’t think there are any other keepers out there screaming to be picked?

Neville is just as bad. This is an ongoing problem for Australia.

I know. Is there any younger keepers they could just give a go. Similar to what they have done with Renshaw and Handscombe who seem to have taken the opportunity?

He scored a 150 in a Shield game after he was dropped. Imo, he is the best keeper in Australia and was unfairly dropped

What a win by Australia in the Boxing Day test today! They were still batting this morning in the first innings before declaring at 8/624. Then superb bowling by the Aussies and poor batting by Pakistan meant the match was over in the final hour of the final session.
Australia has made two changes to the test squad for next week’s Sydney test. Spinners Agar and O’Keefe come in for Sayers and Maddinson.

3 Likes

I went to school with Renshaw. He was a keeper at one stage lol

That’s interesting… so Australia will be playing FIVE frontline bowlers in the Sydney test… it’s been a LONG TIME since that has happened I reckon.

Would be hard for him to keep now since he’s quite tall!

May have been West Indies 2003 where we played McGrath, Lee, Bichel, MacGill and Hogg batting Gilchrist at 6. They may consider Agar to bat 6 or 7 and retain the 3 quicks.

Yes, I think it will be 3 pace bowlers and 2 spinners.
I think the interesting part is whether Lyon is retained ahead of O’Keeffe and Agar.

Looks like Hilton Cartwright who I’m pretty sure hardly anyone knew of before the call-up into the test side will debut in Sydney. I’d say O’Keefe will replace Bird and Cartwright will replace poor Maddinson.

You could be right there re Cartwright.
I must have forgotten that he would still be in the squad.

I’d be surpised if they drop Bird.
I know they often pick 2 spinners in Sydney though.

At the very least, having O’Keeffe and Agar in the squad is putting a LOT of pressure on Lyon to perform (if he gets picked).

Im not convinced that we’ll go in with 5 (and I dont think Lyon is safe either)

Looks like a massive crowd (around 85k) have rocked up to the MCG tonight for the BBL derby. And you compare that to the last 4 days of the test match just past!

1 Like