Cricket

Id rather prefer the 3rd place playoffs instead of loser of 1 v 2 side vs winner of 3 v 4 side. This is to see who finishes after the end of bbl season

No. 3rd place matches are always terrible, regardless of the sport.

2 Likes

I agree, thereā€™s no point playing when itā€™s your last game and you know you canā€™t win the competition - though club games are a bit different (eg last round of the AFL or NRL) when you need to take a positive into the off season.

But the Rugby World Cup and the FIFA World Cup they do have 3rd Place Playoffs. I think that they should still keep them where they are and this will determine the 3rd position.

They are four-yearly competitions that have prizes etc attached. Not yearly tournaments. And they are still meaningless. Players donā€™t care and neither do viewers.

1 Like

The Cricket World Cup will not want to have any 3rd playoffs as I worried that one semi-final match will be lopsided. I know that ICC Cricket World Cup is being held every 4 years during the odd years. (The 1992 Cricket World Cup was being held in a leap year in Australia/NZ, while the previous world cup was being held in 1987 in India/Pakistan). I donā€™t know why Cricket World Cup was not being held in 1991 and 1995.

I donā€™t know how you started at that point and ended at that other point.

4 Likes

1991 World Cup was in Feb/Mar 1992 as it was held in Australia (which is our 91/92 summer).

1995 was held in Feb/Mar 1996, so was probably considered part of the 95/96 season there too.

2 Likes

Sri Lanka became the first Asian team to win a test series in South Africa. The visitors beat the home side by eight wickets at Port Elizabeth on Saturday, claiming the two-test series 2-0. A huge turnaround for Sri Lanka after they were thrashed by New Zealand and Australia during the recent summer tour.
Meanwhile, Afghanistan has posted a new record score in Twenty20 internationals, hitting 3/278 in their 84-run win over Ireland in India. Afghanistani opener Hazratullah Zazai scored 162 not out, the second highest individual innings in T20Is.

1 Like

Didnā€™t see either of those coming!

Well done to Sri Lanka and Afghanistan!

Will be interesting to see how the Aussies go against India in the T20I tonight.

I think the alarm bells were ringing for South Africa when they unexpectedly lost the first test in Durban a week ago, when Sri Lanka were down to the last wicket in the second innings and still required 78 runs for victory.

1 Like

I think Afghanistan might be the team to watch in the upcoming T20 World Cup.

3 Likes

They have Rashid Khan, who is arguably the best T20 bowler in the world at the moment. They will definitely give the big teams a run for their money in this tournament.

3 Likes

In which stadium are Australians playing? Mumbai or Kolkata (I canā€™t remember cause I had a bad meltdown)

Visakhapatnam.
Google is helpfulā€¦

2 Likes

To be precise

Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium, Pothanamallayapalam in Visakhapatnam

Try saying that after a couple of :beers:

3 Likes

Vizag works.

They will provide a banana skin in this yearā€™s 50 over WC as well. Watch out Australia who have to play them first. I doubt they will challenge for a spot in the final four, especially in English conditions, but they will probably derail someone elseā€™s tilt.

Itā€™s been a good month for the international game, in which home side hegemony has been upended. I truly hope the Windies resurgence is the real deal; there have been too many disapppintments and false dawns over the Caribbean Sea in the last twenty years.

Sri Lankaā€™s victory in South Africa was truly remarkable. Some of you might remember my prediction of extremely lopsided results in this series. None of the pundits saw it coming either.

1 Like

Afghanistan will hope that they can win at least ONE game in the CWC. They have beaten Scotland in 2015 Cricket World Cup Pool Tournament. Rashid Khan can bowl good deliveries against England.
New Zealand is doing good this year and they have whitewashed Bangladesh at home. Martin Guptillā€™s blistering back to back centuries will be favourites to win ICC World Cup for the first time.

I think they can win more than one game. They have been on the improve. Similar to Bangladesh.

1 Like