Cricket

Former Sri Lankan cricket player, Sanath Jayasuriya has been banned for 2 years for corruption charges.

1 Like

Congratulations Australia which beat India in a Twenty20 series for the first time. Glenn Maxwell smashed 113 from 55 balls to help his side to win the second and final T20I game by seven wickets at Bangalore overnight, claiming the series 2-0. Sent in to bat, India made 4/190 with captain Virat Kohli hit 72 runs from 38 balls.

Later on Wednesday (Thursday in Australia) there was a run fest in Grenada, as England survived a spirited West Indian fightback to win the fourth ODI by 29 runs. The home side might have regretted to bowl after winning the toss, as England scored 6/418 after 50 overs, led by Jos Buttler who made his highest ODI score of 150, including 13 fours and 12 sixes, and Eoin Morgan who contributed 103. In reply Chris Gayle hit to all parts of the ground, belting 11 fours and 16 sixes on his way to 162. The Windies required 30 runs to win at the start of the 48th over, but lost the final four wickets in five balls to Adil Rashid’s bowling to lose the match. If not for those wickets, the Windies would have made the second highest successful chase in ODI history, behind South Africa’s 9/438 against Australia at Johannesburg in March 2006.

2 Likes

Sounds like a great game. I might have to watch it on the replay on Kayo.

Darren Lehmann, who quit as Australian men’s team coach last year after the ball tampering scandal in South Africa, was today appointed the new coach of BBL team Brisbane Heat, replacing Daniel Vettori. Lehmann last coached the Heat in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons, winning the BBL|02 title.

2 Likes

I can already imagine the World Cup promos Nine will come up with promoting their return

2 Likes

Justin Langer doing a great job as coach in my opinion. I loved the way last night the order was changed up to suit Australia’s great start and to obtain quick runs with Maxwell jumping up the order.

1 Like

England claimed an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the Twenty20 series over West Indies, beating the home side by 137 runs in game two at St Kitts. It was the biggest win by runs by a Test-playing nation, while the Windies’ score of 45 was the lowest over T20 score by a Test-playing nation. Their innings of 11.5 overs was also the shortest by a Test-playing nation in any form of cricket.

Meanwhile, Australia had its first ODI win overseas in 2017 after beating India by 32 runs in the third ODI in Ranchi. Australia scored 5/313 thanks to the 193-run opening stand by Aaron Finch and Usman Khawaja. Virat Kohli scored his 41st ODI century in the Indian run chase but to no avail.

3 Likes

What a win by Australia against India in the fourth ODI overnight. It was Australia’s biggest successful run chase in one-day cricket history, reaching the target of 359 with 13 balls to spare. Peter Handscomb led the chase with 117 while Ashton Turner smashed 84 not out from 43 runs in only his second ODI match. Usman Khawaja backed up from his century in the previous match with 91 from 99 balls. Earlier India posted a huge score of 9/358. It had an identical scoreboard to Australia’s innings in game 3: a 193-run opening stand, an opener posting a century and another opener scoring a 90.

2 Likes

Wow. 84 runs from 43 balls in an ODI. Incredible.

1 Like

Khawaja was simply unbelievable as well again. Having seen 2 wickets lost early he still managed to keep his head and get a solid 91 from 99 deliveries. He has been the standout of the series IMO.

1 Like

Its great they are doing well even without the David Warner and Steve Smith.

5 Likes

England ended its tour of West Indies on a high note, winning the final Twenty20 game at St Kitts by eight wickets to clean sweep the series 3-0. This came after the Windies won the test series and the ODI series was drawn 2-2 with one game washed out. In the latest T20 match, England bowled out the Windies for just 71 in 13 overs. The tourists reached the target in 10.3 overs.

1 Like

I’d like to see the team go well enough to make it very difficult for Warner and Smith to get back in.

It was not long ago that they were looking like walk up starts, not so much the case right now.

At least Smith can’t be captain for the World Cup. And despite Aaron Finch’ s poor form with the bat, I’d like to see him remain ODI captain for the World Cup.

2 Likes

For the first time, Australia has won a five-match one-day series after coming from 2-0 down. The Aussies beat India by 35 runs in the deciding game in Delhi, ending a losing streak of six consecutive series. It’s also the first time in 10 years the tourists won an ODI series in India. Australia’s score of 9/272 on a slowing wicket could have been higher if not for the batting collapse of 8/97 after they were 1/175.
Usman Khawaja continued his recent great form with his second century in three matches, and was named player of the series.

3 Likes

Yes I thought it was all over, when I went to sleep. To be honest thought we had no hope in this series, now we have a chance in the world cup. I have felt the attitude in the team has changed. :slight_smile:.

Anyway credit goes to MSR to broadcast the game on radio (in Sydney no SEN here). And instead of getting someone in Australia to watch the TV and bring the game, it was good to have it coming from India, when going to sleep. I hope they do ashes (although the ABC should do that), and I wish they cover more games of the world cup beyond the Australian games.

The third and final test between NZ and Bangladesh due to start in Christchurch tomorrow has been cancelled as the result of today’s shooting at the city’s two mosques. Bangladeshi players had to run for safety when they were enroute to Masjid Al Noor mosque where one shooting occurred. Fortunately they are all safe.

1 Like

Cameron bancroft was involved in another controversy in 12 months

1 Like

Is nothing sacred?

1 Like

Why does it have to sacred? It’s just a game. The fact i should be able to identify who’s balling or batting or fielding without having to go my cricket app on the phone is a good thing for me IMHO. :slight_smile: But each to their own.