Cricket

I’m in Perth at the moment. Cool weather with clouds hovering

1 Like

Think I heard about 11k on the radio 15k forecast for the day.

I am a bit confused how you been bored of the humidity when you aren’t there then.

But i feel that the Australia v Sri Lanka game will be a lopsided game where Sri Lanka collapsed during the first day.

1 Like

So that is why you are finding it boring. Not that fact that it is humid.

13900 was the crowd (and I sat ABOVE the pool deck). A day where Sri Lanka batted horridly, and the 2 Australians dismissed did their long term prospects no good (Khawaja is now averaging 23 since his match saving 100 in the 1st test against Pakistan in the Emirates, and Burns again plays and nicks well outside off stump having failed twice in the lead up net session without a net).

Today’s crowd at the day/night test is a bit better: 15,603.

Tomorrow’s WBBL final at Sydney’s Drummoyne Oval is a sell-out, with no more tickets available.

2 Likes

Crowd may have been even better if the evening session didn’t clash with Roar (8000) and Bullets (5500) games.

1 Like

I am enjoying to see West Indies doing well in the first test against England. I love test cricket, but I like it even better if West Indies can be competitive again. I do miss them.

On the cricket rights in Australia. My view is channel 7 should be able to stream live. This is a mistake as a lot of the younger generation watch tv on their phones.

I believe AFL has the best rights deal where most games are on FTA. It helps border line supporters watch the game. Rugby League and Cricket should really think about this. Pay tv are for the crazy fans who want more shows extras, 4k or all matches in hd etc. Like me who love to watch England vs West Indies.Sport needs maximum exposure to generate interest to grow. It should not be taken granted, given immigration here, people come from countries who never watch cricket. We want them to be fans too.

6 Likes

I think there is enough cricket on FTA on 7 to keep most people happy given the extended Big Bash season, which is very popular, though not a traditional form of cricket.

It’s a shame that ODIs and T20Is aren’t on FTA though.

1 Like

Yeah i agree radiohead RE bigbash but all televised games should be streamed live on the 7plus app.

1 Like

Only 3 or 4 games out of 9 are on fta, it’s an ordinary deal overshadowed only by CA’s debacle.

Agree with you on the West Indies, their demise at test and one day level has been a loss for world cricket.

2 Likes

Back in the 1980s West Indies were dominant in test cricket. As it heads to the 21st century, the downfall has started. I don’t know why West Indies played so badly especially against Australia

I think more West Indians are playing American sports these days instead of cricket, given their proximity to the United States.

That was the case initially, T20 cricket has also robbed the test team of talent along with many disputes over pay.

3 Likes

Australia had a huge win over Sri Lanka at The Gabba today, claiming the day/night test by an innings and 40 runs inside three days. Pat Cummins (4 for 39 and 6 for 23) claimed 10 wickets in a match for the first time, his match figures of 10 for 62 were also his career best match figures, and deservedly was named player of the match. Crowd today was 14,274.

Earlier today the Brisbane Heat won their first WBBL title, beat defending champions Sydney Sixers by three wickets in front of a sellout crowd of 5839 at Sydney’s Drummoyne Oval.

1 Like

Well done to the Heat womens team.

Whilst it was good to see the Aussie mens team win, I wouldn’t get too excited as Sri Lanka have always been terrible over here… they would struggle to beat some 1st grade suburban teams on our pitches.

1 Like

This Australia v Sri Lanka pink test match is very short. Sri Lanka struggled a lot on day 3. I think that Australia will wrap up the series with a win in Canberra

1 Like

Has to be one of the more forgettable Test Matches in Australia for some time

3 Likes

In regards to Seven having streaming rights, I don’t believe CA offered it to FTA because they’re obssessed with Fox and their own subscription based service. Had Seven tried to negotiate streaming rights they probanly would’ve been shut out of negotiations altogether.

A sad reality.

1 Like