Cricket

Well I actually enjoyed us playing well for a change

West Indies had a comprehensive win over England in the first test, inside four days. England just could not recover from its first innings of 77.

1 Like

Did they really play that well. I could still some fundamental holes in the batting line up. The bowling attack, in my opinion, was never an issue.

Labuschagne and Head looked really good to be fair. And if Harris can convert his starts, I think we can have a decent batting line up once Smith returns.

2 Likes

Put it this way, a decent side would have none of this top 6. Unfortunately, the standard of Test match cricket has severely dropped off over the last 10 years.

Yes Head has been pretty good all summer and Labuschagne was good in the last test match as well. I do just worry Khuwaja doesn’t have enough in him in this form of the game. Burns wasn’t good. And Patterson didn’t have a great debut either. 330 runs isn’t enough. Paine, although a Keeper, should be doing better as well. He should not have a lower average than the bowlers.

To me this game, although the bowlers were brilliant, showed the holes Australia really have. With that effort and that performance they would not have beaten India.

Which of the bowlers averages above 33.50?

Sorry I meant over the summer. Cummins has a better average over the last 5 test matches than Paine.

Paine 174 @ 21.75, Cummins 163 @ 20.38.

Marcus Stoinis has been added into the Test Squad against Sri Lanka in Canberra, replacing Matt renshaw.

Still… doesn’t that say something.

Khawaja’s days in the Golden Circle are numbered; as I’ve said before he’s very much the antithesis of the typical wearer of the Baggy Green. The trouble with him is that he’s an average fielder and rarely rolls his arm over, so any form slump with the bat leads to a call for the ax.

As for the takeaways from the 'Gabba, not much. I suspected this would be a three-day test from the moment the schedule was released. Sri Lanka are probably the worst test side at the moment aside from Zimbabwe and were always going to struggle against our pace battery in these conditions.

As to why we didn’t play India at the 'Gabba first up, ask the BCCI and their team of money spinners.

I thought that was a Cricket Australia decision based on some ordinary crowd figures at Tests there over the last few years.

Playing at the Gabba would have given Australia a better chance at beating India than the SCG, MCG and Adelaide. I bet India were delighted to not have to play there, where the Aussies have not lost a Test for over 30 years.

That’s probably the story that got fed to the media. Remember it was the BCCI who had their way with the (non) D/N test at the Adelaide Oval.

The 'Gabba test has always been well attended I think, given that it’s usually the curtain raiser for the home summer. I do think that matches should start on Friday rather than Thursday though because of the risk of three day tests.

1 Like

Cricket Australia is looking at splitting the JLT one-day domestic cup next summer into two portions.

India’s Ambati Rayudu has been suspended from bowling in international cricket after he was reported for suspect bowling action during the first ODI between India and Australia on January 13, however it was not picked up by local media at that time.

Still not sure I am a fan. I would much rather see it start late November and finish around NYE.

Big Bash needs to be on in January, it’s the time when most people are able to go along. December is still bsuy, Christmas shopping, rushing to finish everything at work. Early-mid January is when people are relaxed, doing family things and plan to get along.

Hasn’t the crowd numbers been down since New Years though?

I went to a Renegades v Hurricanes match at Marvel earlier this month and it was roughly 18.5K that attended for a Monday Night

T20WC Fixtures just got released