Cricket

yes whats with the NRL and how many sex scandals they have!!! geez that is going out of control

More honours for Virat Kohli after leading India to a test series win and an ODI series win in Australia.

The ODI is on in NZ against India. I know the grounds are smaller but I must say it looks a good crowd for a work day. I could be wrong but it appears not to be a majority of Indian supporters. One day cricket still seems popular with a good team touring. No big bash might be a factor? Just my first perception the crowd is behind nz.

1 Like

3pm local time start has probably helped…easier to swing a couple of hours off work. Plus first game there in 2 years.

I find it weird that Indian online pharmacy Netmeds is the title sponsor for NZ’s ODI and T20 series against India, since Netmeds doesn’t operate in NZ. Shouldn’t it leave to a company with a presence in NZ (or better still, a local business)? Local home builder GJ Gardner sponsored the NZ portion of triangular T20 series between Australia, NZ and England earlier this year.

Money talks. Few NZ businesses would have the pockets to sponsor a one off series like this compared to India.

1 Like

It was less obvious this series, but previous indian series had ground advertising dominated by Indian brands (Hero, some cement firm etc)

2 Likes

Yep. 1 billion eyes v 4 million. Makes sense. Less of an issue when India tours Aus/UK etc where population bases are higher.

1 Like

Last time India toured Australia in 2011/12 there were quite a few Indian firms on advertising boards. There was some controversy with one chewing tobacco brand which advertised on the rubber padding on the boundary rope, as it was accused of breaching Australia’s tobacco advertising ban.

1 Like

NZ grounds apart from Eden Park and the Caketin (Wellington) generally only fit 15000 if that, unlike Australian grounds who usually don’t get a second glance if they don’t have 25000 as a capacity.

There is a domestic 20 over comp, but the standard isn’t that great and it’s basically a domestic comp with all the international mercenaries either in Australia or Bangladesh.

A new reason to stop play at the cricket :laughing:

1 Like

That is HILARIOUS really.

Next thing we’ll see is in a day/night Test somewhere… “Moon stops play” for the same reason.

Perhaps what if they were to bowl underarm, that would put the ball below the line of the sun.

What are the Australian selectors thinking? Two weeks ago they picked Will Pucovski into the test squad against Sri Lanka. Today they left him out of the playing XI in the day/night test and chose Kurtis Patterson (who was rushed into the squad after he scored two centuries in Australia A v Sri Lanka three-day match last weekend) instead. Jhye Richardson will also make his test debut.

As for the sun stopping play in the ODI in NZ, play resumed after 30 minutes. In the end India had an easy eight wicket win after bowling the home side out for just 158 in the afternoon.

1 Like

They are probably thinking Patterson proved himself whereas Pucovski hasn’t played for a few months due to taking leave. I like how Australia are rewarding players rather than gifting them.

Boy oh boy, what a win for the Sydney Sixers who have beaten the top of the table Hobart Hurricanes by 9 wickets with 17 balls to spare. Josh Philippe and James Vince put on a big show with a blistering 167 runs off 94 balls in the 2nd wicket partnership. Hobart Hurricanes fans dont need to worry about because they sit on top with 2 wins ahead of the Sydney Sixers.

1 Like

Knew it was all over when I saw we were batting first. Hurricanes are a chasing team, both losses this year have come from batting first.

1 Like

Its happened a few times at this ground, mostly in domestic cricket. What do you expect when the pitch is facing the sun? Poor design.

1 Like

That crowd at the Gabba seems quite low.

I thought that the crowd number at the Gabba is under 18k. For me it is quite boring especially with high humidity In Brisbane.

Are you in Brisbane?