Cricket

England has posted 6-481, the highest ever ODI score in an innings. This was the first time that a 450+ runs has been scored. This was their 19th 400+ score that they have recorded in history. Australia has lost the past 7 out of 8 matches in ODIs against England. Following the ball tampering controversy, they had a new lineup. They want to develop new players and I think that they have played so badly yesterday.

1 Like

Well this new broadcast deal will herald a really poor performance by the team the way they’ve been going. Such a shame. Hopefully the poor results on the field will bring about a disaster for the broadcasters to teach cricket Australia a lesson.

It’s a shame to see the demise of an Australian sporting team.

3 Likes

Easy, tiger. A couple of victories against India and Sri Lanka, who are genuine minnows in Antipodal conditions, will ensure all is well. Until we lose the Ashes through a trial by swing next winter, of course.

ODI totals, like temperatures, seem to be on an irresistible upward trend. England had a relatively quiet last couple of overs; something more helter-skelter could have seen the magic 500 eclipsed. Converting ODI totals to temperatures is a matter of dividing by ten. What will come first, a total of 500 or a 50C day in Sydney or Melbourne?

I reckon a 500 score will come first.
Particularly with the World Cup on next year.
If not England, then most likely India.

1 Like

Oak-ely-dokely neighbour-ino 🖑

1 Like

I’m sure we can extend to a few discretionary items.

3 Likes

No Yogo though

The BBL and WBBL schedule will be released in July.

As you may have heard a couple of months ago, that there will be 59 BBL games to be played during the Summer, 16 more than the previous season. Women’s BBL will have 59 games during the summer period. Cricket Australia will not schedule any BBL games during a day-night test against Sri Lanka (24-28 Jan 2019) as it will clash with Australian Open on Channel 7.

2 Likes

England had its first 5-0 one day series whitewash of Australia but not without a huge scare at the final game at Manchester yesterday. Australia batted first and scored at a quick rate, before a stunning collapse saw the tourists bowled out for 205 in the 35th over. The Aussies fought back to have England struggling at 4/27 and then 8/114, before Jos Buttler (110 not out) and Adil Rashid (20) embarked a 81-run ninth wicket partnership which set up the one-wicket win.

1 Like

Australia has lost 9 of the last 10 games to England in the ODI series. Something needs to change for Australian team. The problem is that Mitchell Starc is not playing due to injury. David Warner is currently suspended following the ball-tampering fiasco. Australia’s next ODI game will be against South Africa at Optus Stadium in November and things really need to change. Hope they bring back Starc.

1 Like

Thanks to a kid who wouldn’t sleep, I watched the last half an hour of the game this morning. Despite defending such a low score, it was actually a good tense game for that last part and could have gone either way very easily. Australia needed two wickets and England needed about 30 runs. Then it was down to 1 wicket or 12 runs.

I hope it doesn’t take long for the team to gel and bounce back and become competitive again and we’ve certainly seen some improvements since the first ODI but with new Captain and new Coach and not having much time to actually settle, they need a bit of time.

4 Likes

Is this Australia’s worst overseas cricket tour in any format? They lost all five ODI matches and now the Twenty20 game against England. Australia were in good form having won last summer’s Twenty20 tri-series against England and NZ, and were on a four-game winning streak. However they were bowled out for 193 chasing England’s 5/221. The ball tampering scandal during the test series in South Africa has affected the Aussie team in other formats. They have to regroup quickly as they now fly to Zimbabwe to play a Twenty20 tri-series against the hosts and Pakistan.

3 Likes

2018 has been some positive and negative news in Australian cricket. Australia have clinched 4-0 in the Ashes 2017-18 series, followed by a 4-1 drubbing to England in the Gillette ODI series. They bounced back with a whitewash in the T20 Series against England and NZ. The ball tampering scandal in South Africa has made headlines around the world with Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft facing heavy suspensions. Darren Lehmann has resigned from the Australian Cricket team after nearly 5 years in the position. South Africa have beaten Australia 3-1 in the Test Series. The fallout of the Australian cricket team resulted in some sponsorships being torn up. When sponsorships have been torn up, Cricket Australia have lost a lot of money.
With a refreshed lineup, Australia have been humiliated so badly in the ODIs and T20s in England losing 6-0. Something’s needs to happen for the Australian Cricket Team. I feel that Tim Paine has never had a win as captain in ODIs and T20s. If things don’t improve for Tim Paine, then time will tell. This was much worse than Australia’s Tour in South Africa in ODI games where they have been humiliated 5-0.

After being humiliated by England at the recent limited overs tour, Australia rapidly regained form in Zimbabwe in this week’s Twenty20 tri-series. After beating Pakistan by nine wickets yesterday, Australia thrashed Zimbabwe by 100 runs today. Aaron Finch smashed the highest individual score in Twenty20 internationals with 172 runs from 76 balls, breaking his own record of 156 runs against England in 2013. 172 is also the highest score by a T20I captain.
Top five Twenty20 international individual scores
Aaron Finch — 172 off 76 balls — Australia v Zimbabwe, Harare 2018
Aaron Finch — 156 off 63 balls — Australia v England, Southampton 2013
Glenn Maxwell — 145 not out off 65 balls — Australia v Sri Lanka, Pallekele 2016
Evin Lewis — 125 not out off 62 balls — West Indies v India, Kingston 2017
Shane Watson — 124 not out off 71 balls — Australia v India, Sydney 2016

According to Fox Sports, Finch also broke the oldest record in international cricket, the highest percentage of a team’s runs scored by one player in a completed international innings. Finch’s score of 172 is 75.11% of Australia’s innings score of 2/229. Finch and D’Arcy Short became the first pair to hit a 200-run opening stand in Twenty20. Their partnership of 223 is also the biggest opening stand in Twenty20 history and the second biggest partnership in any Twenty20 match.

4 Likes

Is there a reason finch hasnt been elevated to the test games? Never understood why he and maxwell weren’t given a chance.

Finch’s FC record is very average. Maxwell has been giving quite a number of chances to be fair.

2 Likes

Fair enough I didn’t realise that.

1 Like

Pakistan won today’s Twenty/20 tri-series final in Harare, Zimbawe, beating Australia by six wickets with four balls to spare. It was Pakistan’s 9th T20I series win in a row. Aaron Finch and D’Arcy Short gave Australia a great start, before late wickets restricted them to 8/183. In reply, Pakistan lost their first two wickets in the first over (bowled by Glenn Maxwell), before Fakhar Zaman smashed 91 off 46 balls to help his team complete their highest successful T20I chase.

1 Like

It was a fairly entertaining game; Australia were on course for 200+ but lost too many wickets in the acceleration phase. I half expected Panicstan to choke when Fakhar holed out on 91 but they got there easily in the end.

The series itself was about as Mickey Mouse as you can get though; there was absolutely no context to it. I think Australia was supposed to play Zimbabwe in a one off test but as usual this got canned. It’s scandalous how Australia worm their way out of playing Zimbabwe and Bangladesh time and time again.