Cricket

My idea was tongue-in-cheek :wink:

1 Like

Unclear if the Adelaide Test will be day/night. I’m sure 7 and Fox are hoping it is.

1 Like

The Advertiser reports today that Cricket Australia is due to announce the 2018-19 international fixture in the next two weeks, looks like it will be delayed until confirmation from BCCI on whether the Indian national team will play a day/night test or not.

2 Likes

A fixture of the 2019 Cricket World Cup has been released from the ICC

2 Likes

Bigger news is that every ICC Member Nation has been given T20 International status, clearing the way to an Olympic bid sometime in the future.

3 Likes

Former test opener Justin Langer has been appointed head coach of Australian men’s team for the next four years. Great choice.

2 Likes

He will be a good coach. I just wonder if jason gelespie would havw been a better fit for the culture and painting the picturr that enjoying the game rather than winning the game is more important.

2 Likes

India has refused Cricket Australia’s proposal to play the December test at Adelaide Oval as a day/night clash, meaning it will be played during the day.

1 Like

A refreshed Australian Cricket team squad has been announced for the Limited overs against England and Zimbabwe.
ODI: Tim Paine (captain), Aaron Finch (vice-captain). Nathan Lyon joins in ODI squad.
T20I: Aaron Finch (captain), Alex Carey (vice-captain).

2 Likes

Australia has cancelled Bangladesh’s tour to the country later this year, due to the timing of the series (it was scheduled for July and August 2018), and lack of interest from TV networks. The decision to axe the tour was made before CA finalised its new broadcast deal with Seven and Fox Sports.

3 Likes

Free to air was never really going to cover it in the middle of the football season.

1 Like

It’s CA who schedule the home tours dates so if I was Bangladesh i’d be pretty annoyed.

I remember when the Nine palmed off some of Bangladesh’s last Test tour to Australia to the ABC due to their AFL commitments. Not sure why CA thought there wouldn’t be a similar problem this time.

10 years ago, Bangladesh played against Australia in Darwin in three ODI games. The attendance was very quiet in Darwin especially during the middle of the AFL season with average crowds under 5000. Channel 9 televised all 3 ODI games and the TV audiences was very small.
The pitches that was being played at TIO Stadium, Darwin was very slow. Bangladesh scored so badly in these type of conditions. Australia completed a whitewash 3-0.

It’s hard to see Darwin hosting international cricket matches in the foreseeable future due to reversal of seasons. When it is cricket season at the Top End it’s down to business end in the AFL and NRL seasons in other states. When it is cricket season in most of Australia, it is Aussie Rules season in Darwin (NTFL). It is also wet season and cyclone season in the region.
The best chance for Territorians to see matches featuring visiting foreign teams will be at Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

1 Like

For cricket to have succeeded in Darwin and Cairns, tours would need to be more frequent, but given the costs and lack of opponents is never going to be profitable. For the good of cricket, CA should do their utmost to continue them.

Alice Springs is really only an option for first class matches, will never get a test match there. Doesn’t do much for Darwin cricket lovers either.

1 Like

Maybe Pakistan should host a couple of matches. One against India would be great.

3 Likes

Opinion from Greg Baum in today’s Age.

1 Like

I agree 100 percent. It’s not good when media coverage is not profitable they can the series. They need to foster the game. The only sport that understands this is AFL in this country.

Alinta Energy has signed a 4-year deal with Cricket Australia to be the shirt sponsor of the national men’s team across all three formats (test, ODI and Twenty20) for matches at home. Alinta is now owned by Chow Tai Fook Enterprises of Hong Kong, and on Monday its bid to buy the Liddell Power Station in NSW was rejected by current owner AGL.

1 Like

So does Qantas still hold the sponsor for the mens Australian cricket team?