Cricket

A very disappointing outcome for Jane McGrath Day, hopefully they will still do well in their fundraising efforts despite the rain.

I remember a few years ago when something similar happened, they turned the ODI in Sydney that followed the test series into a Pink Day. They don’t have that option this time around though, given South Africa forfeited the ODIs in favour of their domestic T20 competition.

1 Like

Was a T20I. Maybe they will turn the Women’s Internationals at North Sydney into a fundraiser?

1 Like

That would be a good idea. But wouldn’t get as much exposure or $$$

Seven reported more than $3 million was raised today even though there was no play at all.

3 Likes

Interesting end for the cricket iin Pakistan all 4 results possible (including a tie). I still think NZ should win.

1 Like

It ended up being a draw with bad light ending play.

4 Likes

Yep PAK held on gamely for the draw at 9 wickets down (for 304). They also only needed 15 more runs to get the 319 needed to win the Test, so it was a real shame thst bad light ended play early. A Tied test result was a distinct possibility.

2 Likes

Although there were two draws I really enjoyed the series. The fact they were 2 for 0 and came back just added to the game. The wonderful thing about test cricket there is a draw option. In my view this trumps other forms of cricket. Bowlers can bowl for as long as they like even a tailender has a chance to save the game. I must admit the test cricket in Australia this year doesn’t have as much magic. I really want Australia to tour NZ even for a two or three test series. Its a shame there isn’t time to go after the South African series. The leggy for NZ bowled some magic balls but was not inconsistent.

2 Likes

Yes the fast and bouncy pitches in AUS are tailor made for us and are very difficult for foreign countries to play Test cricket on with the red ball.

Seems much easier in white ball cricket where Australia hasn’t been as successful.

Tests in the UK are probably the most exciting on average; conditions generally suit the seamers which creates results more often than not (weather permitting). Of course some teams struggle when the ball is hooping around, not least Australia on several occasions (60 all out at Trent Bridge, anyone)?

I am looking forward to both the Indian tour in Feb/March and the Ashes later in the year. A good year of overseas cricket ahead.

As for us touring NZ, I think we’re afraid of losing to be frank. When was the last time we crossed the Tasman for a test series?

In 2 seasons there’s a Women’s Ashes multi-format series with a test match. Perhaps they’re waiting for that knowing more eyes will be on that than the test vs South Africa next year that’s likely being played between the men’s series against Pakistan (main tests) and West Indies (late Jan/Early Feb).

1 Like

The third and final test between Australia and South Africa finished in a draw this afternoon, with the home side claiming the series 2-0. Australia declared at 4/475 in the first innings before start of play yesterday, then bowled out South Africa for 255 just after lunch today and enforced the follow-on, needing to take 14 wickets in total to win the match. However the tourists put up a stiffer resistance in their second dig and finished on 2/106.

Usman Khawaja was named player of the match for his first innings score of 195 not out, and David Warner named player of the series.

Nearly five sessions of play were lost to the rain and bad light.

In a great result for the McGrath Foundation, 250,000 virtual seats were sold during five days of the Sydney test, raising just over $5 million.

Questions have to be asked about the viability of Sydney holding the New Years Test in the future.

Just getting rid of it and freeing up all of January for the BBL would be ideal, end the test summer in Melbourne with Boxing Day.

If that means occasionally having a second Feb/Mar test window in some years with split tours, that’s a better outcome.

4 Likes

EDIT:

4 Likes

It’s sunny this week… you can’t predict mother nature.

2 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Rashid Khan is not happy. He wants politics to be kept out of cricket yet might make a political process… :thinking:

2 Likes

Australia’s protest would mean a lot more if they didn’t have a history of withdrawing from games against minnows/smaller nations.

2 Likes