Cricket

Personally, I thought he was out

1 Like

I thought it bounced just and was not out but not enough to overturn the soft signal.

2 Likes

Thought it was a legitimate catch, seemed to go cleanly into the hands with fingers underneath the ball. Gut feeling was that Labuschagne got away with one there.

1 Like

These inconclusive catches are one of the most annoying parts of the game, along with slow over rates, sightscreen delays and rain/light delays. There was a time when you took the fielders’ word for it and the game moved on. I know that’s probably not the best way to proceed these days as elite athletes aren’t the most trustworthy bunch…but nevertheless, annoying.

4 Likes

I think the test series in Pakistan has been more interesting than the tests in Australia. At least Pakistan put up more a fight to England, the current test with NZ whilst NZ is on top , Pakistan could still save the game and even win. I know the wickets are a bit too batter friendly but good bowlers could still get wickets. Just my 2 cents.

We really need another good test team. A strong West Indies team and South African team would be wonderful. Despite what people say its just a “cycle”, I am still waiting for another Ambrose to come or Brian Lara. A stronger team. I am concerned the cycle doesn’t exist.

5 Likes

I think SA are just a low at the moment, a bit like the Aussies were in the early 10s not long after the retirements of players like Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Hayden etc. That’s when we lost The Ashes at home in 10-11 losing 3 out of 5 Tests by an innings.

I think SA will rebuild and be strong again within 5 years.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we’ve been waiting the better part of three decades for the West Indies to recover in test cricket. For reasons previously mentioned here and trotted out ad nauseam elsewhere, I don’t think it will happen sadly.

It’s somewhat of a no-brainer for an up-and-coming cricket talent in a developing nation: go for the big bucks, and the big bucks are in the IPL. Why slog it out for five days under an unforgiving Caribbean sun?

As for South Africa, they have bigger problems as a nation than their floundering cricket team. Corruption, graft and no guarantee of a functioning power supply, for starters.

4 Likes

I have been watching a bit of that, has been quite enjoyable.

1 Like

Yeah agree but Australia were always a good team, I am worried about nations like West Indies and South Africa. Pakistan always had potential even Zimbabwe at one point had potential. My view the peak of cricket was in the early 90s where a lot of countries were strong including West Indies (although on the decline) and South Africa came back and were strong.

I hope you are right.As what @dxnerd mention the country has issues. Zimbabwe really was doing pretty good with Heath Streak and the Flower brothers but bigger issues hit the country so people had other priorities than cricket. Thus a few years later it lost it’s potential.

3 Likes

Yes SA have been poor this series but overall they aren’t too bad. They are third on the ICC WTC rankings for a reason

2 Likes

Test cricket outside the Big Three nations is sliding towards oblivion and no one seems to care, the proliferation of T20 leagues is a major threat to international cricket as a whole and I’m afraid if the ICC’s income distribution policy and bilateral cricket’s revenue model isn’t fixed in the next 5 years, then it’s a return to the early 20th century with only three countries playing Test cricket.

You know Test cricket’s revenue structure is broken if Cricket South Africa is making an annual loss even in a year when India is touring the country for a major Test series, as was the case in 2021-22.

4 Likes

Adelaide tonight pulled off the biggest run chase in BBL history, beating Hobart by seven wickets with three balls left. Hobart made 4/229 from 20 overs, their highest ever score in competition history, with Ben McDermott, Caleb Jewell and Zak Crawley all hitting 50s. However, stunning batting by Strikers opener Matt Short (100 not out) and Chris Lynn (64) plus poor bowling by Hurricanes bowlers (conceding 21 extras including 13 wides) led the home side to a thrilling win.

3 Likes

Does anyone know whether or not Fox Sports has the rights to the Dubi t20? The completion that a lot of the BBL players are going to.

3 Likes

The bat on the far right of the screencap is the one used by Usman Khawaja.

2 Likes

PAK are in a spot of bother in their run chase in the 2nd Test against NZ in Karachi.

NZ declared their 2nd innings at 5-277 leaving PAK with a victory target of 319.

At stumps on the 4th day, PAK are 2-0 (yes 2 wickets for 0 runs).

1 Like

I thought I misread the score! My cricket app was doing uk scoring.

1 Like

I know, it’s confusing when AUS is the only country (AFAIK) that lists scores as wickets-runs eg. 1-45 (1 wicket for 45 runs) rather than 45-1.

Australia is the cricketing world’s USA, we have to do things our own way :slight_smile: Must admit I read that as 2 runs for no loss as well…

Day 3 of the AUS vs SA Test at the SCG has been abandoned without a ball being bowled.

A draw is now looking like the only possible result with 2 days left and SA still yet to bat at all.

Pretty sad considering it’s Jane Magrath day. :disappointed_relieved: Did the fund raising lunch still go ahead?

1 Like