Cricket

It’s not Australia who is concerned. The ICC had formed a working group to review cricket in Afghanistan.

I think the rights of Afghan women and girls to education and sport is much more important than Rashid taking part in the BBL.

5 Likes

I do wonder if there was something at stake whether CA’s position would be the same or not - there feels like there is a significant level of convenience by not playing this series and a relatively simple way out.

CA also seems to lose sight that our playing the lower tier nations (especially outside of Australia) has a significant impact on the game in those countries (something Usman Khawaja had to point out last year when we went to Pakistan). We play an important part in growing the game internationally and CA have to pull its heads out of its arse and stop pulling out of these series.

That said, the ICC’s handling of Afghanistan really leaves a lot to be desired - their full membership should have been suspended when the Taliban banned women from participating in the game and replaced the executive of the ACB.

5 Likes

India’s Viacom18 has bought global broadcast rights - including linear and digital - for the inaugural Indian Women’s Premier League for INR 951 crore (A$167 million approx).

2 Likes

High scoring ODI in Hyderabad last night, with India only beating NZ by 12 runs.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I asked the question of almost everyone on socials, including Gardiner herself, and didn’t get a response. The question was, if the match on January 26 was being played outside of Australia (i.e. NZ, RSA or IND where they may be expected to play) would she have taken the same stance, knowing the issue at hand would barely raise a mention outside of Australia?

Seems like the Big Bash has picked up extra publicity recently, helped by the addition of Steve Smith in particular. I’m starting to wonder whether it was a premature call to reduce the number of BBL games in the next broadcast deal. If it’s scheduled properly with the idea of maximising participation for international Australian players (Smith, Warner, Starc etc.), then I’d be fine with the current number of matches continuing.

2 Likes

Agree, the BBL with all Australian international players available is much more compelling viewing than dud Tests against the likes of the West Indies.

5 Likes

They will be able to play in the BBL finals if their team(s) qualify.

2 Likes

Well some of them, and depending on their specialty and location of said-finals.

The winners of International Cricket Council 2022 Awards were progressively announced this week. Here is the list of winners (note there was an error with the women’s cricketer of the year category, the winner is Nat Sciver)

1 Like

Ian Redpath and Margaret Jennings have been inducted into Australian Cricket Hall of Fame.

2 Likes

The Brisbane Heat has defeated the Sydney Thunder in a rain affected Eliminator at the Sydney Showground tonight.

The Thunder could only face 6.5 overs in their original chase of 204. Even though the Thunder were 1-52, they were deemed to be behind the Heat under DLS by 8 runs.

The Heat will now face the Melbourne Renegades in The Knockout on Sunday.

2 Likes

Perth Scorchers will host the BBL12 grand final next Saturday afternoon, after beating Sydney Sixers by seven wickets in the Qualifier this evening, in front of a home crowd of more than 41,000. The Scorchers were in early trouble in the run chase, stumbling to 3/22 at the end of the fourth over, before Cameron Bancroft (53) and captain Ashton Turner (84) put on an unbeaten 4th wicket partnership of 132. Sean Abbott took all three wickets.

Earlier, the Sixers posted 8/151 from 20 overs. Playing his last BBL game before leaving for the Australian test tour of India, Steve Smith could only manage 18 from 16 balls. Captain Moises Henriques (58) and Jordan Silk (47 not out) put on 88 runs for the 4th wicket. David Payne was the home side’s leading bowler taking 3/33.

The Sixers will host the Challenger next Thursday against the winner of the Knockout between the Renegades and the Heat.

2 Likes

Looks like the Scorchers are going to win it yet again this year * sigh *

I hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Optus Stadium is hosting our first final with us playing in just our 2nd home final in the last 5 years

The way they played tonight i wouldn’t be disappointed if they won again. There no doubt the best side in the competition.

2 Likes

Give someone else a go. I’m sick of the same scorchers/sixers winning everything and always playing in Grand Finals

1 Like

maybe the other teams should simply get better.

8 Likes

There have been two good teams this year and the remainder have been absolute hot garbage. 80% of the competition had a negative net run rate at the end of the tournament, thats not good.

This 5 teams final series has to go - dont worry about this fluff and just play 1 v 2.