Cricket

The Age/SMH cricket live blog is reporting that security at Perth’s Optus Stadium removed a banner supporting Justin Langer during the first session of today’s play. This is the banner.

3 Likes

Was that really appropriate though ? I mean yeah Justin Langers removal was fucked and those boys who,-pretend to be men in Australian cricket team have a lot to answer for, but was the banner really necessary ?

People in Perth took that all pretty seriously, almost like they have nothing better to do! I’ve got a mate at the game now and he says people in the West are boycotting CA because of their treatment of JL.

I am Perth person, I did not like the way they treated Justin Langer, but yes tend to agree time to let it go though and not bring these stupid signs to games. Let the Aussies do their thing in the matches.

2 Likes

I thought the players had forced the ACA to do something about Langer because they didn’t get on with him / like his style? So I don’t think this is necessarily the ACAs fault.

England’s record breaking innings came to an end today, dismissed for 657 with a run rate of 6.50 per over. Their first day score of 506 is also the second-most scored by any team in a single day of Test cricket, behind Sri Lanka’s 509 on day two against Bangladesh in 2002.

2 Likes

Never said it was, but that’s how some of the public perceive the issue.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but NSW are having an absolute stinker in domestic cricket this season. Dead last and winless in the Sheffield Shield and are currently sliding to another hapless defeat against Victoria, after making the running most of the game. They’ve only won one game in the ODI cup as well.

The main problem lies with batting as we really only have Daniel Hughes and Kurtis Patterson that are up to standard; Henriques is a bit past his prime now and there’s not much else.

At least the natural disasters in NSW have taken a break for the moment…

4 Likes

They didn’t even try sounds like they were a bunch of boys pretending to be men . Can’t handle someone like Justin langer then they should not be playing cricket at top level. There are coaches who have different styles . Says a lot about the so called men in the cricket team who decides Justin Langer was being “mean”. I don’t want to use the word bully because I don’t think that was alleged (I may have to do some research to back this up)

Anyway that’s just my thoughts . That being said I think The Australian team have played well so far in the test series against West Indies. So despite all the Justin Langer drama they seem to be moving ahead and not letting the stupid flag destroy their cricket gaming.

They haven’t really been tested in this series… I think their failure to make the recent T20 World Cup semi finals was a bit more of truer indication of how they are really going.

1 Like

Australia beat West Indies by 164 runs on the final day of the first test in Perth this afternoon in front of a sparse crowd. The Aussies claimed the final seven wickets inside two sessions, with Nathan Lyon taking 6/128. The Windies put up some resistance with opener Kraigg Brathwaite scoring 110, Roston Chase 55 and Alzarri Joseph 43.

Marnus Labuschagne was named player of the match for his innings of 204 and 104 not out. He became the third Australian after Greg Chappell and Doug Walters to score a double hundred and a hundred in a single test match.

3 Likes

The late Shane Warne has been elevated to Legend status in the Sport Australia Hall of Fame, nine months after his death. Warne’s three children, Jackson, Brooke and Summer, were at the MCG Museum, with Jackson attaching the new gold name tag to the wall of inductees.

Warne and distance runner Ron Clarke are the two latest legends in the Hall of Fame.

The elevation comes ahead of SAHOF: Heroes and Legends special on Seven this Thursday night.

2 Likes

Australia have retained the Frank Worrell Trophy - a series trophy that have been held since 1994-95. The last time West Indies have beaten AUstralia in a Test match was back in May 2003 in Antigua. West Indies Test Team used to be a powerhouse back in the 1960s all the way to the late 1990s. But sadly, since 1999 they have gone into a downward spiral. Unfortunately, they have never returned to a competitive Test side. It is very sad to see the demise of the West Indies Test Team.

2 Likes

The best indicator will be the upcoming test series in India. Most teams win at home. I expect we could cop another hammering over there.

The West Indies did well to resist well into the 5th day…but when you only take 6/20 opposition wickets you still aren’t going to win any test matches. They are about as good at cricket as Australia are at soccer…spirited and competitive on a good day, but ultimately providing an empty suit. I would like nothing better than to see a strong Windies team once more, since I missed the glory of the 80s.

England have defeated Pakistan by 74 runs in a remarkable first match at Rawalpindi today. The result was not decided until halfway through the final session and in fading afternoon light. After England scored 657, the home side came back with their own massive first innings of 579, with both openers Abdullah Shafique and Imam-ul-Haq and captain Babar Azam scoring centuries. England then had another quickfire innings, declaring at tea on day four at 7/264, setting Pakistan 343 runs to win with four sessions remaining. Pakistan fought hard to make it to the final day, but their innings ground to a halt after Agha Salman was dismissed lbw for 30 when the score was 259. They lost their last five wickets for just nine runs, in nearly 17 overs.

According to ESPN Cricinfo’s text commentary, this test becomes the highest-scoring Test ever to produce a result, as well as the only game to do so featuring two 550-plus first innings totals.

5 Likes

Third highest scoring test of all time. Incredible.

2 Likes

I was thinking the game where Sri Lanka made 952 (for 6 declared) would be up there, which is the highest team score in any innings ever, but as I just found out, neither team even made it to their 2nd innings! (India made 537/8d batting first).

That was in 1997 and that SL record will probably never be beaten.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Even if his ban had been lifted, he is getting too old to be captain (now 36) and there are a number of other players more deserving of that opportunity.

1 Like

They have Steve Smith anyway.

1 Like