Cricket

I am shocked, actually. This was one I was not expecting. Iconic to the game of Cricket. Such a young age. Thoughts are with his family on their loss.

6 Likes

I couldnā€™t believe this when I woke up to this this morning.

3 Likes

Last night, while I was on the YouTube app, I couldnā€™t believe this shocking news that have happened. Shane Warne has passed away aged 52.
I remembered watching the 2006-07 Ashes Series where Shane Warne took his 700th Test wicket when he dismissed Alastair Cook at the MCG. This was an iconic moment. Shane Warne finished his International career with 708 Test Wickets. Shane Warne has a great larrikin sense of humour and had a good pride in the Game. The Cricketing community will never be the same. Goodbye Shane Warne, and May he Rest in Peace.

2 Likes

The 1st Test between Pakistan and Australia in Rawalpindi has ended in a predictable draw.

In a high scoring affair, Australia struggled with the ball, taking only 4 for 728 across the 2 innings,

Pakistanā€™s batters posted 4 centuries to Australiaā€™s 0.

I wonder if the Shane Warne event had an notable impact on Australiaā€™s performance?

2 Likes

Pakistan were a bit silly to not at least try and bowl australia out in the last innings.

1 Like

I find it funny that Sevenā€™s cricket Twitter account used a generic photo of a four-lane highway to describe the pitch at Rawalpindi

4 Likes

I did wonder if Pakistan would declare at tea and try to bowl Australia out in the last session, but given how flat the pitch was, they knew that was never going to happen.

They were probably hoping to wear out the Australian bowlers a bit more and try to use that advantage for the next Test.

1 Like

I think we are so use to having results in test cricket people forget there were a lot more draws in the old days (besides test matches that multiple days washed out). I think the Warne event may have impacted things a bit, but i think Pakistan didnā€™t want to lose so they didnā€™t want to take risks. I enjoyed watching Marcus Labuschagne having a go bowling his leggies.

3 Likes

One of the most boring test matches of all time

4 Likes
3 Likes

Iā€™ve got no issue with there being a draw after 5 days but when you can tell on day 1 that itā€™s likely going to be a draw and a boring draw at that, then itā€™s not good for anyone. The players, the viewers, the Test Championship all lost with this game. Sure a couple of high scores but are they worth as much as a century batted out in a tough and strategic fashion?

Thereā€™s a draw like the recent Sydney test where it was down to the final overs and all results were possible or thereā€™s a draw like this where itā€™s completely pointless.

4 Likes

There is already a stand at the WACA named in Rod Marshā€™s honour

1 Like

Not surprisingly, the match referee deemed the Rawalpindi pitch that was used in the test match as ā€œbelow averageā€ and gave it one demerit point.

According to the laws, "when a venue accumulates five demerit points (or crosses that threshold), it will be suspended from hosting any international cricket for a period of 12 months, while a venue will be suspended from staging any international cricket for 24 months when it reaches the threshold of 10 demerit points. Demerit points will remain active for a rolling five-year period.

1 Like

Usman Khawaja - take a bow. Khawaja scored a century in Karachi!

2 Likes

The Karachi test ended in a draw on the final day, after centuries from Pakistani duo Babar Azam (196) and Mohammad Rizwan (104 not out), plus opener Abdullah Shafiqueā€™s 96, thwarted any chances of Australian victory. Australia bowled Pakistan for 148 on day 3, and after declaring early on day 4 yesterday, had more than five sessions to get ten more wickets to win the test (they only managed to take seven). Instead, the home side put up a huge resistance, led by Shafique and Azamā€™s 228-run third wicket partnership. Mitchell Swepson took two wickets in his test debut but also conceded 156 runs in the second innings.
Pakistanā€™s 7/443 is now the 6th highest fourth innings score in test cricket history, and Azamā€™s 196 the seventh highest fourth innings total of all time in test cricket.

3 Likes

Silly decision from Pat Cummins not to enforce the follow on.

2 Likes

Who would have thought that Babar Azam put up a huge innings? If Cummins did enforce the follow-on, Azam could have scored a double hundred, and I reckon his side would have narrowly won the test.

He didnā€™t.

2 Likes

Australia declared with only 2 down in the 2nd innings, if they had enforced the follow on, they would have had the entire 2nd innings to bat and chase any total needed.

Cummins just doesnā€™t have the attack to win on slower lower pitches overseas.

1 Like

Cummins did not enforce the follow on to give his bowlers a break.