Cricket

Given a large number of MIQ places have already been allocated to teams competing in the upcoming Women’s Cricket World Cup, it is no surprise.

2 Likes

If you’re so angry about Australian cricket, I wouldn’t have thought England were the team to turn to.

I think the next season of BBL should not only be shortened, but also brought forward to mid November start, just a few days after the T20 World Cup final on November 13, to encourage overseas players taking part in the World Cup to stay around and play for one of the eight local teams, instead of flying home and then coming back to Australia weeks later.

Put simply its the rubbish TV deal cricket Australia did, Channel 10 were great with the BBL whilst I’m affraid channel 7 are poor at best not broadcasting some games on nights were they could’ve got an above average viewership. By the numbers the current TV deal as resulted in a reduction of viewership and interest :pleading_face::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

HOW HARD IS IT FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND? THEY DON’T HAVE THE RIGHTS TO EVERY GAME! They couldn’t broadcast them if they wanted to!

2 Likes

If they had offered Cricket Australia enough cash, they could have.

CA didn’t want to hear it.

Foxtel for years wanted cricket in Australia, I don’t think they will give it up in the short term. They would still want something extra when compared to FTA.

@foxyrover I believe Channel 7 has the option to broadcast the international men’s T-20s/One day matches but choose not too? Or is this a rights thing like the BBL?

Didn’t they pass on the rights?

2 Likes

Yeah I am not sure, if they have the rights but choose not to show it or pass it ? I wonder if they did pass it in another FTA network could show it?

No I’m pretty sure Fox technically ‘bought’ the rights off of them, similar to Fox’s deal to buy the Saturday night NRL game from Nine.

1 Like
1 Like

In theory, Fox buy every game from Nine, even the games they have exclusively.

Yep. At the time it was made very clear that CA wanted the $1 billion but no FTA broadcaster were willing to pay up. Enter Fox Sports

3 Likes

Another concussion for Will Pucovski.

He needs to seriously consider whether he keeps playing cricket. Can’t be good going on like this.

1 Like

Poor bloke. Needs to retire

1 Like

His guest commentary stints were very good, so could be a good natural transition.

1 Like

6305 people tonight at the SCG is a pretty dismal showing.

I know it’s a bit of a nothing series and Sydney’s sporting audiences are notoriously fickle but that’s still pretty poor.

I reckon CA would be much better served for series such as this to look to hosting games in regional cities (with stadiums of at least 10000 capacity), I’m sure these places would get fairly close to a full house and probably a more engaged and appreciative crowd too.

4 Likes

Sri Lanka managed to tie the scores at 164 on the back of opener Pathum Nissanka’s 73, but the home side won the Super Over thanks to superb bowling by Josh Hazlewood.

Sri Lanka were punished twice for slow over rate: they were allowed only four fielders outside the 30-yard circle for the final over of Australia’s innings, and players were also fined 20% of their match fees. Nissanka was handed a demerit point for using inappropriate language which was caught by the stump mic.

2 Likes

Yeah agree. The matches finish too late for young kids. Its designed for TV only and its easier for the TV network to have it at the SCG.

2 Likes

2 Likes