Cricket

Cricket Australia need to move back to exclusive free to air media rights to rectify the massive issues they have with coverage of all forms of the game.

1 Like

I saw a suggestion that everyone plays each other once + an additional round where the two Sydney and Melbourne teams play each other (and then the remaining 4 get paired off) - not the best solution IMO, but it does bring the number of games down

This year hasn’t been great - but a lack of overseas players (and the UK players being withdrawn early) didn’t help.

5 from 8 qualifying for finals is ridiculous - having a finals ‘series’ is just as stupid. Have 1st and 2nd play for the trophy and leave it to that.

Unless a free-to-air network is going to front up the cash, it’s not going to happen - even the free-to-air networks aren’t acquiring FTA-only rights now.

I sort of meant the same deals like soccer have with 10 and rugby have with Stan.

One media rights deal with one company with the product on multi platforms.

Agree that a 5 team semi final format out of 8 teams rewards mediocrity.

But I’d go for a 4 team format

1 (home ground advantage) v 4

2 (home ground advantage) v 3

The winner of those two games play the final, with the highest ranked winner getting home ground advantage.

I think that’s how it used to be?

1 Like

I think that was the format in the first few years of the comp. I think that’s a preferred format. But of course cricket Australia like to flog dead horses and needed an extra final for the broadcaster.

2 Likes

That’s how it was but then the leading teams kept getting knocked out in the first round - e.g. Hobart Hurricanes were the clear leaders one season (I think it was 10 wins in a row) before losing the first final and getting knocked out. I think a simple 1 v 2 could work rather than a series.

2 Likes

The Hundred has a decent format, 8 teams as well, but top team goes through and then a 2 vs 3 semi final.

It’s the worse of both right now, way too many matches and they end up nearly not mattering.

5 Likes

I agree that the drawcard to having it over December/January is people will stay up later to watch it, families will go to games because the kids don’t have school etc., but the problem with the last couple of weeks of January in particular is competition with the Australian Open and I’m a Celebrity. If you played it in February and the first half of March, there wouldn’t be much sport to compete with. Friday and Saturday night games on Seven would hopefully out-rate any repeat movie Nine or Ten are showing. Having it in Feb/March also means the likes of Warner, Smith, Cummins, Starc would be available if they don’t have an international tour. The weather will still be warm in February which would hopefully attract crowds.

But as long as the current deal stands with 14 games for each team means the BBL will continue to have to go head-to-head with the tennis. There’s no way around it unless they schedule a lot of double headers or start in November.

The Women’s Ashes test in Canberra has ended in a draw. Australia declared at 7/216 this afternoon, giving England 257 runs to win from 48 overs. England did well in their run chase and were 3/218 before losing their next six wickets for 26 runs, and had to hold on for dear life in the last two overs to prevent an Aussie win (which would have given them the series as well).

England captain Heather Knight was named player of the match for her first innings knock of 168 not out.

3 Likes

Australia had a hard-fought 27-run victory in the first ODI against England in Canberra tonight, earning the required two points to retain the Women’s Ashes. The home side was restricted to 9/205 from 50 overs, its lowest ODI score since 2013. In reply England were bowled out for 178 from 45 overs.

With the trophy retained, it will be interesting to see what new batting and bowling combination Australia will try in the next two matches in Melbourne, to prepare for next month’s Cricket World Cup in New Zealand.

5 Likes

The decision, which had been widely expected after a disastrous trip, comes 24 hours after the sacking of Ashley Giles as director of men’s cricket, and a matter of weeks before England are due to depart for a three-Test series in the Caribbean.

3 Likes

Justin Langer has quit as Australian coach. He was offered a contract extension but turned it down.

Source: Herald Sun, Peter Lalor

3 Likes

Wow. Can’t say I didn’t see it coming though. Obviously they just offered him a short-term contract, maybe to the end of next summer, where Langer wanted another 4 years. Andrew MacDonald will take the side to Pakistan after dealing with Sri Lanka here in the T20s, then it will be interesting to see who takes the team forward. I think that whoever goes to Pakistan needs to be coach until after the series in Sri Lanka, then work someone out for the home World Cup. I really hope this doesn’t backfire on CA, with the home defence of the T20 WC title this year.
My opinion is that we need to split the roles of white ball and red ball. Throw the chequebook at Punter to coach the white ball teams, and then select a red ball coach. Maybe Andrew MacDonald, David Saker, Trevor Bayliss, Mickey Arthur, someone who can then focus on sustaining the Test success of the Ashes and win for the first time in ages in England.
I think the ECB will really think hard about JL as their next coach, replacing Chris Silverwood after the West Indies tour. There are many options for both boards to look at.

I think Ricky Ponting should be the next Australian coach. He reads the game like no one else.

1 Like

JL’s management company confirmed the resignation this morning.
https://twitter.com/DSEGWorldwide/status/1489752208690520068

JL is a good friend of former England captain Andrew Strauss, who is now acting director of men’s cricket after the sacking of Ashley Giles.
Trevor Bayliss coached England to great success, including the 2015 Ashes series win and the 2019 Cricket World Cup victory, so another Aussie coaching the rival team could work.

Edit: Cricket Australia CEO Nick Hockley confirmed this afternoon that the board only offered Justin Langer a six month contract extension.

3 Likes

I really dont get this - there must be more then meets the eye to this one

2 Likes

Australia has claimed the Women’s Ashes series outright on home soil for the first time since 2011, after a five-wicket win in the second ODI against England at Junction Oval this afternoon. Sent in to bat, England suffered a middle order batting collapse of 5/11 and were eventually bowled out for 129, with Ellyse Perry and Tahlia McGrath each claiming three wickets. The Aussies suffered early wobbles in their run chase including a fourth-ball duck for captain Meg Lanning, before Perry (40) and Ashleigh Gardner (31 not out) helped the team reaching the target with 88 balls to spare.

UPDATE 8/2: Australia thrashed England by eight wickets in the third and final ODI at Junction Oval, to finish the Women’s Ashes undefeated.

1 Like

Indeed. Here is Justin Langer’s resignation letter.
https://twitter.com/7Cricket/status/1490221172394708993

3 Likes
3 Likes

Was always going to happen unfortunately

1 Like