Cricket

I agree with a run penalty more than a fine or anything else. If they are bowling second and are slow, the team batting second should get an extra over or whatever in which to get the runs.

They used to do this in ODIs but I believe it was deemed unfair because the team bowling second couldnā€™t get punished during the match so it was uneven.

1 Like

They would get punished, they may have to bowl 21 overs instead of just 20.

That rule combined with the rain rules of the day basically screwed South Africa in the 1992 World Cup. They bowled their overs too slowly and finished bowling 49 overs making it 49 overs a side. Then when the rain came the rules of the day basically eliminated the lowest scoring overs from the first innings (which was 2 maiden overs) basically turned 22 off 13 (gettable even in that era) into 22 off 1.

Personally if they were serious they should in reality suspend ALL players on the team but that will never happen (too severe in the minds of many). Quite often it isnā€™t just the captain who is at fault for the slow overs all the time.

Thereā€™s only 18 in the squad, canā€™t suspend 11 of them!
Itā€™s the captainā€™s responsibility to ensure the entire team is following the Laws of Cricket, so they should be suspended.

I agree with Ian Chappell ā€œSuspended the Captainā€ this will clean up poor over rates.

Exactly but perhaps if the message isnā€™t getting through by suspending the captain then whatā€™s the next step?

I think adding a run per minute would be a scarier prospect

1 Like

With the way the batsmen play these days an extra 15 runs batting second may not phase them (wonā€™t guarantee victory or defeat, but an extra run per over these days seems to be easier to get than it was 10 years ago), and 15 runs off the target may make a 20 over game finish as farcical as one that finishes under D/L (fancy a game being decided between balls as a run is deducted from the target during live play).

I know at lower levels (Grade cricket) itā€™s a 6 run per over penalty but itā€™s up to the umpires discretion. Not sure that would worry them at this level though.

David Campbell plugging the Boxing Day Test saying ā€œBill Lawry who is a Victorian, celebrates 40 years as part of Nineā€™s commentary teamā€, reminded me that there are no Victorians in the squad :open_mouth:

Not happy Jan.

Signed,

A Melburnian.

NB/
In fact, the past couple of decades have been a bit too Sydney-centric if you ask me!

Anyway, I know fair is fair, have to earn it, current chief of selectors better than last too.

We can be pretty confident in a win then.

1 Like

:unamused:

No worries for Victoria, thereā€™s two Tasmanians to represent the southern states! Paine returned back to Melbourne today after a quick trip to Hobart after his father in law suffered a stroke and Jackson Bird replacing Starc. Yes, he was from Sydney but heā€™s Tasmanian now so we count that.

Unless they wear the navy blue cap they donā€™t count as Victoriansā€¦

Ah, Boxing Dayā€¦ Where would you rather be :sunny: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Aussies are killing it atm.

I know itā€™s a dead rubber, but seriously gave the Poms a fighting chance, given it happens in dead rubbers.

Donā€™t look like taking a wicket anytime in the next decade!

Broad has had a disappointing campaign.

Also, crowd, be lucky to get 80,000 (also a tad underwhelming for BD, given James Sutherland was still talking it up on radio this morning ā€œoh, weā€™ve got a few hundred GA tickets left ā€¦ 90,000+ā€. Get real.

He did say (and heā€™s spot on), no excuses for team performance and crowds (i.e.) this weekā€™s weather.

1 Like

Actually the sparse section was largely the MCC members yet again, many of whom would have spent the bulk of the day in dining rooms and bars. Most of the seats in the top deck of the Southern Stand were populated.

1 Like

I can tell you for a fact the 88,000 odd, were only there as a whole for the minutes Warner (finally) scored the dramatic century.

There were tons of vacant bays / seats everywhere across the day, but it is indicative of test cricket.

If it werenā€™t a dead rubber, itā€™d also be different.

Still, a terrific crowd none the less.

Cricket Australia should trial 4 Day Test Match against Sri Lanka Next Summer.