Cricket

Do they need permission from the ICC? Would it count towards rankings?

Wouldn’t need permission from ICC but would need to be agreed upon by CA and SLC.

As I understand it, they would count for rankings points but from 2019, they would not count towards the new ICC Test World Championship.

4 day test on that pitch!?

Flat as a pancake, also requires batsman to use all sorts of skills, whilst continually testing the bowlers.

Look, nothing can beat the 'G and Boxing Day, but the slow drop-in wicket will always come into question.

Yesterday was not exciting, not talking score margin, but only Warner’s dramatic century was top notch.

Edit

Oh dear, we’ve collapsed early, losing the skipper and the Perth brother inclusion on just 9

Thats interesting, because the changes in the playing conditions arent that major (extra time and overs per day, a slightly less follow-on target). CA’s position on 4 day tests is odd as well, they are only interested in them for what are effectively lower ranked countries

I suspect ICC will relax these rules if it goes beyond a trial.

Teams battle to get to the 90 overs in 5 day matches. 100 will be a challenge.

1 Like

South Africa are being sneaky in trialling it, combining it with a D/N test in Port Elizabeth where the lights are apparently not as good as other venues. Sure the naysayers will point out that Zimbabwe are as likely to be 4/30 no matter what hour the game is on but the mood on twitter is that the conditions between night and day have made too great a change to the complexion of the game.

Realistically there are only 2 venues in South Africa (Durban being the other) where dew apparently isn’t a major issue (hence those 2 venues were the only pair that hosted D/N games in the 2003 World Cup).

The D/N situation is intriguing - I wonder whether only Australia will really embrace it

Just trying to think about the grounds around the world that could host it. New Zealand’s TEST venues such as Dunedin, Christchurch and Wellington’s Basin Reserve (as opposed to limited overs venues) apart from Hamilton and I think Napier are basically Day venues (don’t have lights or will need expensive portable floodlights). Sub continent has dew problems meaning only those Pakistan/Afghanistan home tests in the UAE (where playing in the day is ridiculously hot) could realistically be D/N. England’s home summer has the sun up for so long they just need to adjust the hours of play rather than rely on a night session. West Indies have lights but cricket as a sport is dying there. Not convinced that it will be the money spinner and saviour that many make it out to be.

I think the DN test in Auckland this summer will be a hit.

But we’ll never see an MCG day/night and I doubt SCG.

never say never…

2 Likes

Great fight back by England today.

To get the last 7 Aussie wickets for 83 runs and to go into stumps at 2 for 192, I wouldn’t have predicted that with the Aussies at 3 for 244 overnight.

1 Like

I’m pleased to see Cook get a century.

+1

Poor bowlers in that heat though :fire:

1 Like

Great come back from England. Now they need to play like this for the nesxt 2 days.

2 Likes

The main reason why it will be never, is that there’s up to 10 days where they won’t be able to schedule Big Bash games, extending the season out to a point where it becomes major overkill.

Hit maybe but Eden Park is in reality no longer suitable to be a test venue with the boundaries straight ridiculously short.

1 Like

Correct. Awful venue.

1 Like

oh look, how quaint a T20 international being played during the day

That venue doesn’t even have lights! And it’s in a holiday hot spot area so hence they are playing it in the day. It’s like if they scheduled a T20 in one of Australia’s holiday hot spots like Byron Bay or…Tamworth.

2 Likes