Cricket

India has bounced back from its first test loss by thrashing England by 317 runs in the second test in Chennai today. Chasing an unlikely target of 482, the tourists were bowled out for 164. Spinner Ravi Ashwin was named player of the match for his 106 in Indiaā€™s second innings plus eight wickets in the test.

3 Likes

50 Over domestic cricket needs to stay within itā€™s state identity.
I would play 10 Home and Away Matches plus a Final in a normal season as per Sheffield Shield structure.
I would play 5 Sheffield Shield Matches to start season.
Then have a stand alone window for a Red Ball and a Pink Ball 4 Day Australia A Matches against visiting International touring teams.
Big Bash play a 12 Home and Away Matches plus current IPL 4 Match Finals Structure Total 52 Matches.
After Big Bash play 2 weeks of 50 over cricket 5 Matches.
Next resume Sheffield Shield season with 50 over cricket played prior or after Sheffield Shield match.
Domestic Cricket to end on the last calendar weekend in April.

2 Likes

I wish they could play shield cricket during Dec/Jan. say matches from Monday - Thursday.

Maybe have Big Bash as weekend thing like the footy.

It probably wonā€™t work. If you finish a big bash game on Sunday, it would be difficult for players to jump to a shield match on Monday, then back to Big Bash on weekend.

2 Likes

South African allrounder Chris Morris set a new record to be sold to Rajasthan Royals for A$2.88 million.

Morrisā€™s price of INR16.25 crore was the highest winning bid of any IPL auction, eclipsing the record of 16 crore that the Delhi Daredevils paid for Yuvraj Singh in 2015.

2 Likes

I really should have been a cricket player.

1 Like

Why is David Warner not even on the unsold list?

1 Like

Did he nominate/was he retained?

Was retained

1 Like

I wish they played a few tests in NZ as well as the T20.

2 Likes

Both NZ and Australia lost three early wickets to their innings in the first Twenty20 match at Christchurch tonight, but thatā€™s where the similarity ended. NZ batsman Devon Conway smashed a career T20 best score of 99 not out from 59 balls to help his team to reach 5/184, while the Aussies lost another two wickets cheaply and never recovered, losing by 53 runs. Making his international T20 debut, BBL player of the tournament Josh Philippe could only manage two runs.

2 Likes

Hear hear!

We donā€™t play NZ that much in NZ. Are we afraid of losing to them, perhaps?

A NZ Cricket YouTube stream came up on my favourites this morning, which had the entire match playable. Iā€™m wondering how this gets around Kayoā€™s exclusive rights.

2 Likes

It might be the ā€œclashā€ of the southern hemispheres (Summer occurring at the same time) . NZ may want Australia to be there for the boxing day tests etc. A bit of stale mate which may have happened over the years and never really got resolved. Whilst I am not sure about NZ, I know South Africa would like Australia there during that holiday period of time. Cricket Australia donā€™t want to budge on this. I can understand both sides of the coin Iā€™d like to see compromise, maybe have a combined 5 test series? Boxing day in Australia and a couple of new years test in South Africa (or something similar). We could do a similar deal with NZ. (We are assuming no Covid). They would need to sort out TV rights. I think Free to Air should do the matches as well as it would be the ā€œsameā€ series.

Its interesting how India managed to get Australia to go to India during last summer for a couple of one dayers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We usually go to NZ around this time of year (Feb/March). NZ usually come here in November. I donā€™t think weā€™ve played a test in NZ since 2015 which is criminal, considering NZ have a pretty decent side.

Feb/March is the best time of year weather wise in NZ, apart from perhaps in the far North Island.

2 Likes

This year would be perfectā€¦ With series cancelled with South Africa We hardly got a test match until the next ashes.

Surely we can slot it in NZ. NZ love to play Australia. Maybe South Africa might get their nose out of joint if we did that.

2 Likes

I think thereā€™s also the issue of keeping the Test Championship consistent as it runs on a 4 year cycle, so teams arenā€™t playing just whomever they like as it could skew those results. Though I know COVID has thrown a spanner in the works here.

4 Likes

Yeah very trueā€¦ If it was a true championship I think it should be a proper home and away series so it is 100% fair. Every test series should be the best of 3 (not sure how you would handle the ashes). Now I guess similar issue in NRL, it isnā€™t a totally fair home and away contest.

2 Likes

Not sure if we need another fast-paced cricket competition given the popularity of Twenty20 competitions around the world. Also there will be 100 legal deliveries in each innings, just 20 less than Twenty20.

2 Likes

Soon thereā€™ll be Fast5, where itā€™s just 5 overs (or 5 balls), and then theyā€™ll be matches where you just peg a cricket ball at someoneā€™s head. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

They do have T10 now if you can believe that.

2 Likes