Cricket

Neither would I, but then again they’re not playing Australia so…

1 Like

Things changed very quickly for England. After scoring a massive 578 in the first innings against India, the tourists could only manage 178 in their second dig, with Ravi Ashwin grabbing six wickets. India needs to score 420 runs in the second innings to win the test.

1 Like

I think 2 factors were at play in England’s 2nd innings. Firstly, the wicket is deteriorating by the session and is spinning quite sharply, hence batting is getting harder.

Secondly, with a lead of 241 on the first innings, England’s main aim in the second innings was to score runs as quickly as possible, so they had a big enough target and enough time to bowl India out a second time. If they lost wickets doing it, then so be it.

2 Likes

Agree, I’ll be surprised if India win this, that wicket is almost turning square, with a lot of variable bounce.

It’s a much tougher assignment than Brisbane, and as they are facing a relatively fresh England bowling unit (compared to the Aussies).

2 Likes

English thrashed India by 227 runs today in the first test in Chennai, bowling out the home side for 192. Jimmy Anderson took 3 wickets for 17 (including Shubman Gill and Ajinkya Rahane in the same over) while Jack Leach got 4 for 76.
I didn’t think many local fans would have expected this result, especially after India’s pulsating win over Australia in Brisbane last month.

4 Likes

Is this the same India bowled out for 36 in the first test in Australia? It seems we can’t take the results of one test to predict a whole series! They just don’t like the first tests! Pretty impressive scores there and some good figures for England.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I am expecting India to bounce back quickly in the next test. Refreshing to see the home sides being beaten of late.

3 Likes

I agree, the Indians tend to take a Test match to get going.

They were also probably on a high after their series win here, so this should jolt them back into reality.

It is a critical series, as a strong win (2-0 or better) to either team will see them leapfrog Australia into the Test Championship final against New Zealand at Lords.

4 Likes

Remember we also beat them in the 1st test back in 2017 I think it was. Steve O’Keefe had his ‘Welcome To The Boomtown’ match with 16 wickets. As with the David and David song, it would sadly prove to be his only hit.

2 Likes
1 Like

After India made 329 off 95.5 overs, it was England’s turn to bat. England got off to an abysmal start where they lost Opener, Rory Burns for a duck. At the moment, England are sitting at 6/87 off 39 balls. I think England have simply wasted their chances during the 2nd Test in Chennai. The Indian bowlers have done their best to pick up wickets on a dry pitch.

2 Likes

Rohit Sharma’s 161 in India’s first innings could well be the difference between the two teams in the Chennai test.

3 Likes

Normal service has resumed with England rolled for 134. India are 249 ahead with 9 wickets in hand. It’s a bunsen burner so England have Buckley’s and none.

The despondent looks in the England dressing room reminded me of the 90s and early 2000s, when Warnie made more than a few of them look like befuddled wombats.

2 Likes

Yes, not looking good for England now. India have hit back hard.

I think an Indian win here will suit the Australians as they don’t want either India or England to leapfrog them into the Test Championship final.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that won’t even take place anyhow. I’m going for England as I don’t like to see home sides win again and again; India are the most dominant of all sides at home.

2 Likes

West Indies have won the Series over bangladesh with a 17 run win. Chasing 231 for victory, Bangladesh were in a decent position. However the wickets fell during the 2nd innings. Bangladesh have never Won a Test match in the ICC Test championship. Why is it so hard for Bangladesh to win a Test match? :disappointed:

2 Likes

Terrible domestic first class structure. It’s essentially club cricket below the national team.

3 Likes

Bangladesh were the overwhelming favourites though…they’ve had plenty of success at home of late. Shakib is one of the best all rounders in the game with some pretty handy support crew as well. But yes the domestic structure is poor; the same could be said of Sri Lanka though.

Well done to the Windies. Let’s hope it’s the start of something better for them. The West Indies’ own domestic structure is perennially interrupted by squabbles and pay disputes, contributing to their problems at international level. A lot of their top players have deserted the team over the years in favour of T20 leagues.

3 Likes