Cricket

Yes, analogue radio is the way to go for live sport, there is (and always will be) some sort of delay with digital radio (it’s usually behind the AM or FM simulcast by a few seconds)…

2 Likes

Cricket Australian CEO James Sutherland said the removal of ABC and BBC radio from earpieces sold at test venue was because only up to four channels were available. He said he would ask for bandwidth to be expanded for the remaining tests.

1 Like

I’m preparing for the zombie apocalypse since Smarsh scored another ton!

Not worth paying $25 for it, which is a $5 increase on past years. The battery generally lasts 2 days or so if you listen to it all day.

I think the in-ground transmissions are around 60-61 MHz (they appear in the ACMA’s temporary transmissions list). Annoyingly, this is just below what the Tecsun radios will tune to. A portable scanner would work, though- unless the transmissions are digital and encrypted?

Allegations in the News UK paper The Sun that parts of the Perth Test starting today have been rigged.

The SMH journalist’s comment about allegations made on video by two Indian bookmakers: “Some of the fixer’s claims are bold to the point of being totally unbelievable”.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ashes-embroiled-in-matchfixing-report-20171213-h04b9n.html?__twitter_impression=true

Does anyone know if you can stream the cricket off the cricket Australia app via Apple air play??

So currently an “indefinite delay” due to the water seepage on the wicket overnight.

If today is unfortunately abandoned and a draw ensues, then eyeballs seriously need to be locked on to WACA grounds staff IMO.

Like c’mon. I understand there wasn’t staff 24/7 sitting right next to the wicket monitoring, but this would never happen at the MCG as an example.

It’s the Ashes for goodness sake, we have 6 wickets to get, could win the series by tonight.

Thoughts?

Test players are soft. Damp pitches occur every weekend in local cricket. Get on with it as long as the current showers stop.

2 Likes

Isn’t it ICC rules though? That when play resumes, the pitch must be in the exact same condition as at stumps.

You wouldn’t think it would happen at any international ground so what exactly makes the MCG especially immune?

4 Likes

Mateeeee… It’s the 'G. Period. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll forgive you for not living in VIC. I assume you don’t?

I reckon they should move the Boxing Day test to Sydney, which is Australia’s sporting capital in my eyes.

1 Like

Correct. I have been to the MCG though and while I was impressed by the stadium, the museum and the history, I didn’t once think “these groundsmen would never make a mistake in their careers”.

3 Likes

They already have the yachts.

Make it Bellerive for the Boxing Day test and have it become the Hobart to Sydney yacht race so in the lunch break of the first day you can see them sailing up the river through the windows. Hobart is the sporting capital of… nah, I can’t even finish that sentence, as a Northerner. Keep it all as is. I’d think Melbourne is much more sporting than Sydney.

2 Likes

It appears that this isnt the case based on what I’ve read - its assumed that this is the rule

Because the MCG can do no wrong @OnAir - you wouldnt understand that being a Kiwi and all :wink:

3 Likes

Nah give ot to Adelaide. It would at least sellout.

Australia has beaten England by an innings and 41 runs today in Perth to reclaim the Ashes. However, Mitchell Starc has suffered a bruised heel which puts him in doubt for the Boxing Day test.
According to Alistair Hogg from the International Cricket Council, England’s 403 represents the fourth-highest score in which the team has gone on to suffer an innings defeat. The top 4 is:
England 477 v India (Chennai, 2016)
Pakistan 9/443 v Australia (MCG, 2016)
England 405 v Australia (The Oval, 1930)
England 403 v Australia (WACA Ground, 2017)

1 Like

Hard to see that happening with the rain that seems to always affect Sydney test matches :wink:

1 Like

What’s the bet that at least one day of play in this year’s Sydney test will get washed out? :stuck_out_tongue: