Cricket

Well I’m sure South Australia people like it, they get an Ashes test in prime-time for starters :wink:

It’s just too unique and modern for me, test (especially Ashes) should be the traditional day time, white ball, 7 hours in the sun, slip slop slap.

I dread the day Boxing Day with 90,000 will go night time (we say it’ll never happn but who knows, Nine keep pressuring CA too) :persevere:

Many years ago, I’m sure people said “Night football. It’ll never work!” but we all know what happened there.

While I don’t think we’ll see the traditional MCG Boxing Day and SCG New Year tests become day-night tests (at least not in the immediate future anyway), I do think Nine or whoever has the TV rights in the future would like to see more day-night tests.

Most people have time off for the boxing day test and the SCG test bit its not the case with the other tests. I think its fantastic. You should actually go to one live to understand the added energy it brings.

3 Likes

Apart from the lights and TV, which look great, there’s not really much difference.

You don’t know what cricket is like until you go to Boxing Day with that crowd, it’s unlike anything.

Ive been to the boxing day test. Its just completely different at night. Good on cricket australia for doing this though. Test cricket might not have had much longer so reinventing it is very clever.

So true.

Cricket Australia announced today that Perth Stadium would host the fifth one-day international match between Australia and England on Sunday, January 28 next year. It will be a day game starting at 11.20am local time. Due to time difference, it will once again clash with the men’s singles final of the Australian Open. If Perth Scorchers get to host a home BBL semi final or final, they will be played at Perth Stadium as well.

4 Likes

As a shift worker who works mainly nights going to D/N tests is terrible. If anything more workers (particularly those in the target growth audience) are working at the times they either want eyes on TV or at the ground.

In some ways it hasn’t worked to improve the quality of the game. Sure it’s resulted in more viewers and better brand exposure but the actual product isn’t a great improvement.

1 Like

I don’t understand how changing the time of the game would improve quality anyway. Only way to improve quality is the players and the game itself not the gimmicks, timeslots etc.

Weather and ground conditions for night games are substantially different compared to a full day fixture.

Agree, the last session in a DN test is totally different to a traditional test match.

1 Like

I see what you are trying say. But that is something I prefer with Adelaide Ovsl traditionally a better batting pitch it brings another element. Too often i. Australia are pitches more batting focused.

I am working from home after 12 just so i can watch the firet day today.

Looking forward to the Ashes! Series predictions? I’m going 4-0

I think it will be close.

The one-day match between Australia and England at Perth Stadium has sold out in record time. Public tickets only went on sale yesterday and 24 hours later they were all snapped up. Obviously fans did not waste an opportunity to be at the first major event at the venue. WACA tweeted that some more tickets would be released a bit closer to the match.

1 Like

Extraordinary reports of England’s wicket keeper headbutting debutant Cameron Bancroft at a WA bar a month ago.

2 Likes

Go Aussies!

What a lacklustre, one-sided day, completely dominated the unresponsive Poms :smile:

It didn’t clash this year, that was the women’s Aus Open final (and it was the BBL final).

Well if England lose the next test then it’s definitely all over. Not only have they not won at the WACA since World Series Cricket split the Australian side, they also have to do something no team has done since 1956/57, losing the Brisbane test yet recovering to win the series (they actually lost by an innings).

It’s now 29 without defeat at The Gabba, the sequence being from 1989/90(without checking the records):

• DRAW Sri Lanka (Aravinda de Silva scored a big ton)
  • WIN England (Low scoring game, chased down about 150 without losing a wicket)
  • WIN India
  • DRAW West Indies (Hailstorm game)
  • WIN New Zealand (Border’s last appearance in a Gabba test)
  • WIN Pakistan (Aamir Sohail scored 95 on Day 1, but they still got pantsed)
  • WIN West Indies (Highlighted by Healy’s first test ton and Ricky Ponting taking 1/0 [Jimmy Adams])
  • WIN New Zealand
  • DRAW England (Australia looked set to win, but the last session on Day 5 was wiped out due to a tropical storm)
  • WIN Pakistan (Gilchrist’s first test…and Scott “Can’t Bowl Can’t Throw” Muller’s)
  • WIN West Indies (Windies dusted for 82 first dig)
  • DRAW New Zealand (McGrath had to bowl almost wides to prevent Chris Cairns from bludgeoning his way to an unlikely successful chase)
  • WIN England (Nasser wins the toss and bowls, Aussies 1/300+ at stumps and Simon Jones wrecks his knee)
  • DRAW India (Rain marred game, Ganguly makes a big ton)
  • WIN West Indies (debut of Mr Cricket as an opener)
  • WIN New Zealand
  • WIN England (Harmison wide, Ponting massive ton)
  • WIN Sri Lanka
  • WIN New Zealand
  • WIN West Indies (attended all 3 days of the game, commuting from Landsborough twice, Brendan Nash swaps a baggy maroon Qld cap for a baggy maroon WI Cap)
  • DRAW England (Siddle hattrick, Cook responds with unbeaten 265 in the second dig)
  • WIN New Zealand
  • DRAW South Africa (Even attended the washed out Day 3)
  • WIN England (Mitchell Johnson starts to shut the Barmy Army up)
  • WIN India (rescheduled test following the Philip Hughes disaster)
  • WIN New Zealand
  • WIN Pakistan (D/N test, struggled to see the ball under lights from top deck)
  • WIN England
2 Likes

Found this on cricinfo, I usally take a small am radio with headphone to the footy and cricket myself.

1 Like