Cricket

Or they could accept that the likelihood of these players being available remains low - carving out an international free period in the calendar will simply get filled by another nation who will expect Australia to travel there.

1 Like

True. If certain countries (cough, India, cough) weren’t so greedy, you could do what football does and have defined international windows where tests and ODIs etc could be held, and work out when countries can play each other home and away. Then base your club competitions like the BBLs and the IPLs around that.

Sadly, that would require 100% buy-in from pretty much every nation.

1 Like

Yeah but then you’d have all the countries choosing to keep their players, rather than let them play overseas.

You’d have to have some sort of freedom to play clause written into the rules - you don’t want a BDO vs PDC / World Series Cricket vs ACB / restraint of trade ruling rearing its ugly head.

1 Like

yeah you are correct RE Shield , my mind is still stuck in the early days when Bradman played and shield cricket was popular, another idea if they cut down the BBL season , I am not sure if the schedule will work , but having a test match in Australia and then two in NZ would be great. Australia may struggle over there so it may make it a great contest.

NSW players returning from Adelaide have not been requited to self-isolate, but have a standing requirement to get tested and self-isolated should any experience possible Covid-19 symptoms.

1 Like

And here I was trying to get the Boxing Day test in Adelaide :joy:. Move the Adelaide test to melbourne if it gets any worse.

1 Like

There is still a space for Shield cricket, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not at the same level as it once was. If done properly, it can be used to develop the next Test stars. Same with ODIs. T20s best left to the BBL.

2 Likes

This.

I’d love to see say Starc bowling to Warner etc.

1 Like

the trouble is that even if CA provides windows for this, the test stars dont join…

Smith wont be in the BBL this year, Warner has knocked back countless contracts even to come in for the final H&A games then finals.

3 Likes

The Adelaide Strikers squad were quickly assembled and boarded a charter flight to Coffs Harbour, NSW, at 2.15pm Adelaide time yesterday. The players will spend two weeks at a Coffs resort for self-quarantine and training, before flying to Hobart to start their BBL campaign on December 13.
1 Like

Bring Brett Lee back if you wanna bowl at warner
like Warnie in the bicentenary game @ lords - he’d smash his hand…

yes - I hate Warner (and I’m a New South Welshman) - he masterminded the ball tampering in SA, so fuck him

2 Likes

Yes I don’t like him either, not just for the ball tampering, but the way he used to antagonise the opposition, but couldn’t take it when he got sledged back. Anyhow, he seems to have improved on that (as has the whole team has) since he got suspended,

1 Like

The ICC announced that the Women’s ODI WOrld Cup in NZ has been postponed from 2021 to 2022. The women’s T20 World Cup in South Africa has been moved from 2022 to 2023.
2022 will be a massive year for ICC events - the Women’s ODI WOrld Cup, the Cricket to join the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham and the Men’s T20 World Cup in Australia.
3 Likes

USA Cricket has announced that its commercial T20 franchise league partner, American Cricket Enterprises, has signed a 15-year lease to acquire AirHogs Stadium, formerly a 6,000 seat minor league baseball and soccer facility located in the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie, Texas.

The $20 million stadium venue opened in 2008 and housed the Texas AirHogs, an independent minor league baseball team for the last 13 seasons. However, the AirHogs folded in the summer of 2020, one of numerous minor league baseball organisations to go under as a consequence of the devastating financial impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The stadium venue is adjacent to Lone Star Park horse racecourse and is a short drive along Interstate 30 from AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Park, home to the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it a few times now, but it still makes me laugh!

I had a little chuckle when they talked about hosting World Cups there. 6,000 seats ain’t anywhere near big enough.

USA is a real logistical nightmare for cricket in that baseball fields are so unsuited to hosting games.

But I’d like to see cricket make good inroads into the States… I don’t really understand baseball.

1 Like

I don’t know how others are feeling but this year is the most excited I have been for cricket starting again. Previous years I haven’t bother signing up for Kayo but this year I am in.

1 Like

NZ allrounder Sophie Devine was awarded WBBL player of the tournament for the second year in a row, while Strikers bowler Darcie Brown was named Young Gun of the tournament.