Cricket

The 2018 limited overs series between England and Australia is not part of the Ashes series, and therefore Nine may not have the broadcast rights.

On Monday, Star India secured worldwide broadcast rights to the Indian Premier League (including digital) for 2018-2022 with a US$2.55 billion bid. No doubt Star will onsell some rights to overseas broadcasters to recoup the cost and fans could pay more to watch the matches. As the IPL has not been shown in Australia for 5-6 years, could the Star deal signal its return?

We’ll see.
There is no limited over series in England in 2019, Only the 5 Ashes Tests. Just because they moved the series to a year earlier shouldn’t mean Nine lose the rights.
https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/ICC/document/2017/05/01/c580027b-9f0f-4595-a394-bc195f21e847/ICC-Future-Tours-Programme-Latest.pdf

That ICC Future Tour’s thing isn’t that realiable to be honest. I reckon we will see some limited overs stuff after the 5 tests in 2019.

Thee same thing kinda happened in 2012 where the Aussies played 5 ODIs (which was not covered by Nine) and in 2013 there was the Ashes and some limited overs stuff after that (which was covered by Nine).

2012 was covered by Nine (Gem)

1 Like

Nice to see Peter Handscomb wearing a floppy or Greg Chappell hat whilst batting. Was my (in hindsight rather risky) choice of head wear as a schoolboy batsman.

1 Like

Sony Pictures Networks has replaced Star as the official broadcaster of Australian cricket in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, under a new six-year deal with Cricket Australia. Sony will show the Ashes series of 2017/18 and 2021/22 plus tours by Pakistan and South Africa, the women’s Ashes, the KFC Big Bash League and the Rebel Women’s Big Bash League, over 11 channels on the network.

Despite 9 wanting to do a deal by the end of the year, cricket Australia are waiting for the ten ownership to be dealt with so they have competition for the rights.

I also think there may be at least one ODI and perhaps a test against Ireland (who now have test status) thrown in for good measure. I’d suggest 3 and 3 (50 and 20 over) games would cover England’s component.

Guinness will be amber in colour before Australia plays Ireland in a test match…having said that, a few of the Aussies would relish a five day sojourn in Dublin; the certain victory being a prelude to imbibing copious amounts of the aforementioned brew.

1 Like

Cricket Australia announced today it has signed a two-year deal with Gillette. The shaving brand will sponsor both the one-day international and Twenty20 international matches that take place in Australia, replacing Victoria Bitter and KFC as ODI and T20 sponsor respectively (KFC will continue to sponsor men’s Big Bash League for four more seasons). Gillette last sponsored cricket in Australia when it was naming rights sponsor of the domestic one-day cup from 1973/74 to 1978/79 season.

BeIN Sports last week signed a six-year broadcast deal with Cricket Australia. The deal includes all international Test, one-day international (ODI) and Twenty20 matches for the men’s and women’s Australian national team played on Australian soil, including the upcoming Ashes series, South Africa’s 2018 and India’s 2018/19 tours of Australia, as well as men’s and women’s Big Bash League. The coverage will be available via BeIN’s subscription channels and online, and will be broadcast across more than 24 countries, mainly in the Middle East and Africa.

The Australian squad for the first two Ashes tests had just been announced. Some remarkable selections including the inclusion of Tim Pains, who hasn’t played a game for Australia in over 7 years!

2 Likes

Tim Paine has not been keeping wickets for Tasmania during the current domestic season, so he better brushes up his wicketkeeping skills.

2 Likes

They didn’t pick the keeper based on their batting ability, the picked based on keeping ability. Darren Lehman the coach has hit a Sheffield Shield ton more recently (2007) than Tim Paine (2006) which was his only first class ton.

2 Likes

Graphics as seen on on 9 News

2 Likes

Test (or should I say Ashes) starting a couple of weeks later than last year (much to dismay of Nine, all out of prime-time bar one night - final ratings night of 2017 in fact).

Also only one day-night (I am not a fan, hate them, international cricket is a day game).

Also interestingly an ODI and T20 Int’l are still “TBA” on location (probably MCG or SCG again, lets be honest).

And yet again, story of the last decade to 20 years (bar a few obvious icons)… Only 1 VIC in the squad, notably Maxwell and Wade part of the shock exclusion. Ironic, given Melbourne is cricket’s home and strongest market by far.

Also an interesting article on CA’s short term future:

Also interestingly an ODI and T20 Int’l are still “TBA” on location (probably MCG or SCG again, lets be honest).

Nope - those are just undecided between the WACA and Perth Stadium. Almost certainly they will be at the WACA, but it’s not finalised. Either way, those are in WA.

1 Like

They actually think the stadium may be completed in time for the 50 over game.

Ashes years always start in late November.

1 Like

I am the opposite. The atmosphere at Adelaide oval is electric and its fantastic to get to it after work.

3 Likes