Cricket

By Australia in England in over 70 years

2 Likes
2 Likes

Australia won the Women’s Ashes test at Trent Bridge today, beating England by 89 runs. Ashleigh Gardner claims all five wickets to fall on the final morning, and 12 wickets for the match - both sets of figures are Australian records. Gardner finished with 8/66 to go with her 4/99 in the first innings and was named player of the match.

In the first innings, Tammy Beaumont became the first English player to score a double hundred in a women’s test (208), while Australia’s Annabel Sutherland made her first test century with 137 not out.

Australia claimed four points for the test victory, meaning if England were to regain the Ashes, they would have to win five of the six remaining matches (ODI and T20).

4 Likes

Gardner’s performance was just incredible. Amazing advertisement for 5 day cricket.

1 Like

insane

2 Likes

The fixture for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup India 2023 has been announced, with the 10 teams (two TBC) playing each other once in the group stage, before 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 in the semi-finals for a shot at World Cup glory:

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-odi-world-cup-fixtures-2023-india-hosts-pakistan-england-new-zealand-ahmedabad-stadium-icc/2023-06-27

Australia’s schedule is as follows:

v India, October 8, Chennai

v South Africa, October 13, Lucknow

v Qualifier 2, October 16, Lucknow

v Pakistan, October 20, Bengaluru

v Qualifier 1, October 25, Delhi

v New Zealand, October 28, Dharamsala

v England, November 4, Ahmedabad

v Afghanistan, November 7, Mumbai

v Bangladesh, November 12, Pune

3 Likes

I’m a bit surprised they haven’t opted for 2 Groups with a shorter pool phase and having a longer say Super 8 quarter final type stage before the semis and final.

Because of the 2007 World Cup, when India missed out on qualifying for the Super 8 phase, so only played 3 matches in the tournament.

Ever since then we’ve had torturous formats that maximise the number of Indian matches and thus the amount of money the ICC can sell the TV rights for.

7 Likes

Just Stop Oil protesters have invaded the ground at the Ashes test a couple of overs in.

Johnny Bairstow quick to the rescue picking up and carrying one of the protesters off.

First time I’ve ever cheered for an England player during an Ashes test!

5 Likes

Detailed report of this morning’s disruption by Just Stop Oil protesters including photos.

UPDATE: half centuries from Travis Head (77 from 73 balls), Steve Smith and David Warner had put Australia on a solid position at stumps on the first day of the second Ashes test at Lord’s. Sent in to bat in overcast conditions (with two brief rain interruptions) and on a green top, the tourists ended the day on 5/339, with Joe Root picking up two late wickets.

4 Likes

We should start our own action group… Just Stop Climate Wankers

Nathan Lyon could be ruled out of the rest of the Ashes series with a calf injury, as England fought back on the second day of the second test at Lord’s, despite Steve Smith’s 2nd century at the venue (and 32nd overall). At stumps, England are 4/278 in reply to Australia’s 416.

2 Likes

At stumps of day 3 of second Ashes test at Lord’s, Australia are 2/130, leading England by 221 runs, after dismissing the home side for 325, taking the six remaining wickets in the morning session.

4 Likes

Some great play tonight, was yelling and clapping in awe just before

2 Likes

England are going to win this.

1 Like

The only way I think that Australia could win if they get Stokes out.

2 Likes

This aged nicely but I still think it’s too little, too late.

2 Likes

I don’t know England bottom order is not to strong on the batting

3 Likes

I don’t know about the Bairstow stumping though - technically the ball wasn’t dead, but he wasn’t playing a shot or attempting a single … I’m not sure that what the Aussies did was in the spirit of the game there

1 Like

And that’s all that matters. Fair dismissal.

5 Likes