Cricket on Radio

Not when you are a P plater and that is illegal

1 Like

Youā€™re in the minority. Itā€™ll be on the ABC Sport DAB channel though youā€™d assume.

1 Like

I kind of think this is where the ABC need to look at content on their terrestrial stations more.

Taking away any legislative requirements , why not use RN or News on Radio network for this type of coverage.

Leave Local radio alone and use the RN and News freqā€™s. I suspect they have a miniscule audience but also suspect they are vocal and persuasive in the right ears at the ABCā€¦

1 Like

Maybe an unpopular opinion on here, but I will not miss Jim.

Yes, he is the voice of cricket (on ABC radio) in Australia. I too remember summers, fishing, camping or travelling with Jimā€™s call of the cricketā€¦butā€¦recently his calling really has grated me.

His (what feels like) constant bagging of my home town of Hobart, really drives me nuts. The crowd sizes, the weather (how many washed out tests in Sydney??), the ovalā€¦Jim, if you donā€™t want to come to Hobartā€¦donā€™t.

What feels like a constant stream of anything NSW Cricket is awesome and everything else is second rate is also abit much.

Just feel like the team now donā€™t loose much when heā€™s not thereā€¦

I salute Jim Maxwell. I acknowledge is contribution to Australian radio, ABC Radio, and Australian Cricket. We may never see or hear another like him. But I do fear he has passed his peakā€¦and his reputation will be tarnished by his calling of latter years.

3 Likes

Looks like SEN will have every ball live from 3pm AEDT tomorrow on AM radio.

Excellent decision, glad to see theyā€™re prioritising this unlike the Pakistan tour where it was AM coverage from 6pm only.

4 Likes

Correct, ABCā€™s coverage will be on ABC Sport DAB station also.

I think DAB station is used in case of rain interruptions or early end to test matches. News Radio is not available as it is broadcasting the opening week of federal parliament for 2023.

1 Like

They usually only breakaway News Radio for sports events on analog radio. Parliamentary broadcasts could continue on DAB, streaming and digital TV.

Though most the time when this happens during the AFL or NRL season itā€™s on the weekends, not sure how often Federal Parliament sits on weekends so I guess itā€™s not usually a problem.

I believe at times during the year AFL is heard on News Radio analog in Brisbane and Sydney and NRL can be heard on News Radio analog in Melbourne for example.

1 Like

The terrestrial radio coverage makes me sad. Being that I proudly live in rural Australia in an area devoid of either a local SEN or ABC digital service it looks like ill just have to lump Poxted & Kayo for any coverage at all :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Mate if you can stream Kayo you can stream ABC or SEN

1 Like
2 Likes

Not the point mate, Terrestrial Radio. For most people who work on a farm with bugger all mobile reception. Terrestrial radio is vital. Try sitting 14 hours a day on a big lumbering machine with no mobile reception. I know city folk cant fathom this but Terrestrial radio is the only link to civilisation that theise people have.

8 Likes

Yeah it is easy for us to overlook by the city folk (including myself). Radio wins hand down for me in the car especially in rural parts. My view ABC Local regional areas should get live coverage. The city can have normal programming with DAB bringing the cricket.

Canā€™t wait! Should be a great test series.

5 Likes

Phil Long has joined SENā€™s commentary team for the India-Australia test series.

2 Likes

Was this the first time in history two stations in Australia provided ball by ball coverage of cricket test series overseas?

1 Like

It always surprises me when people come to my area and are shocked thereā€™s no mobile coverageā€¦

Some Australianā€™s just donā€™t get that rural and regional Australia doesnā€™t have the depth of mobile coverage they are used too in the cities.

And thatā€™s OK, the telcoā€™s need to cover the majority of our population which live in the cities, but itā€™s abit different out in the bush were AM/FM are still kingā€¦

5 Likes

I agree. Iā€™d even compromise one step further and put the cricket on either regional NewsRadio only or split the Local Radio network into AM and FM (given a lot of regional areas tend to have an overlap with both). Put the cricket on AM and leave normal programming on FM. For example in Western Victoria you could have the cricket on 594 while most parts still get Local Radio from 107.9 Ballarat.

BBC Radio in the UK does something similar in Scotland I believe (sport on MW and normal programming on FM).

4 Likes

Bit perplexed whether to listen to the cricket on SEN or the ABC, usually prefer Triple M for Merv Hughesā€™ inane nonsense during the home season, but now finding it hard to choose. Have gone with the ABC for now.

4 Likes

I do have a genuine question (sortta radio related)ā€¦Do the broadcasters get some sort of rebate if a test only lasts, three days and a team scores say sub 100?

There would be significant cost finding programming for those days when they ā€˜boughtā€™ cricket programming for that timeā€¦

1 Like

Nah I would assume that like TV that is assumed risk of the purchase.

@dxnerd if you feel like to listen to the kiwi version of commentary for the nz vs england test match you can use the rova app to listen to today fm or black cap radio.

3 Likes