Cricket on Radio

My vote would of been have a 3 test series with NZ in NZ in January. To get the ratings make them pink ball and finish at 8 pm NZ time ? Maybe enough light to make it a red ball contest. Could have it scheduled finished at 730 pm NZ time.

Foxtel would have rights but it would be if Seven could broadcast it too. Anyway just a dream :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Apparently BBC Radio has its own commentary of BBL finals this season, which began tonight with Sydney Thunder v Brisbane Heat. Itā€™s only available on BBC Sport website and app.

Next match for broadcast is Scorchers v Sixers in Perth on Saturday.

3 Likes

The BBC has done their own commentary of most BBL games over the last few years. Itā€™s part of their overall radio rights deal with Cricket Australia.

4 Likes

Like SEN, they covered most games until the Australian Open started. Iā€™ll admit to occasionally switching on the VPN and listening to them after one too many ads for Drinkwise on SEN (I find them very irritating and somewhat patronising).

3 Likes

Ben Cameron said on ABC Grandstand this afternoon that the broadcasterā€™s commentary team for next monthā€™s India-Australia test series would comprise of Corbin Middlemas (1st and 2nd tests), Clint Wheeldon (3rd and 4th tests), Sunil Gavaskar, Dinesh Karthik and Dirk Nannes.

3 Likes

Just those? No one else? Unless theyā€™re not doing every ball that seems like a lot for the ball-by-ballers.

Geoff Lemon and Prakash Wakankar are also part of the commentary team

4 Likes

I wonder why Jim Maxwell is not travelling to India.

Heā€™s unfortunately getting on in years and has had a stroke etc. India isnā€™t the easiest place to visit, although things are undoubtedly better now than they were even in the 1990s.

3 Likes

Got to reckon Jimā€™s just starting to ease into retirement a little, which has admittedly been made easier by the ABC barely doing overseas tours on radio these days (as well as a lack of an ODI summer). Just dust him off for the tests in Australia and let him take it easy the rest of the year.

I know some people have their opinions of him, but for someone of my vintage I think the day Jim leaves us will be a loss up there with that of Richie Benaud. An absolutely iconic voice of cricket on the radio for decades.

11 Likes

I found recently (Jim Maxwell) pushes the boundaries of political correctness esp for the ABC during the Sydney rain breaks in his older age, with some of his stories. Even Andrew Moore I think was squirming a bit. I was a bit too , not because I was offended, rather the wrong people there at the ABC might be offended. I am trying to recall the story. I think the story was around urine testing or something of that nature.

I remember thinking just hope he doesnā€™t end his career at the ABC in similar fashion David Morrow did (Warren Ryan and David Morrow suspended by ABC) , where he accidentally had his microphone on and said the wrong things. Jim Maxwell should go out or retire in a positive manner. He is a great cricket commentator.

2 Likes

Yeah thereā€™s been a few comments in recent years (post his stroke) that have certainly raised a few eyebrows. Perhaps not a bad suggestion to go out on a high sometime sooner rather than have it all fall down unspectacularly. But heā€™ll still be missed once heā€™s gone.

2 Likes

Yeah seems like people hold on for longer these days. I tend to remember in the 80s people just retire after 60 or having a health incident. A good example is Frank Hyde retiring in the early 80s.

I always remember the 12th Man with Richie retiring plans. He never really retired formally retired in the end and there was a big send off. Sure he got lighter duties. It seems post 2000 people hold on for longer.

People just work longer these day maybe its a money thing and lifestyle or big celebrities are encourage to hold on the jobs longer. Anyway a bit off topic.

Jimā€™s doing the Ashes tour.

2 Likes

Jim is the main reason I listen to the ABC cricket coverage, hes the Richie Benaud of radio

2 Likes

Probably his last OS series with the next home summer his retirement tour?

1 Like

Quentin Hull said on ABC Grandstand this afternoon that the ABCā€™s broadcast of the India-Australia test series would be on ABC Listen app. Coverage starts at 2.45pm AEDT during each day of the test.

3 Likes

I donā€™t like the listen app. It means we canā€™t listen to it on the wireless or the car radio. Really frustrating!

1 Like

While I would love to go back to the good old days of the series being covered on Local Radio (I have very fond memories as a child listening to the 2004 series in India while driving with Dad in a moving truck when my grandmother relocated to Albury), Iā€™d argue thereā€™s enough interest in this series that it could be covered on analog NewsRadio at the very least.

2 Likes

Bluetooth in the car (if car doesnā€™t have bluetooth buy a bluetooth/FM dongle for the cigarette lighter)

2 Likes