Cricket on Radio

Not even coverage on SEN Fanatic? That’s fairly poor. There should indeed be another station allowed to broadcast if SEN are prioritising the tennis.

The ABC won’t take the commercial ad-filled Big Bash Nation coverage though.

4 Likes

I’m not sure who is queueing up for that.

2 Likes

Not on Fanatic unfortunately. 2sm might want to do it ? Its great being on radio, if I need to drive somewhere its just there. I guess you could put tv audio through the car but its not great or convenient.

1 Like

I read via the Twitterverse that the ABC were going to cover the tests vs India for digital channels with Wheeldon, Middlemass, Nannes, Prakash Wankankar (former Ranji Trophy player, has done ball-by-ball for TMS in the past) and Geoff Lemon calling from India (including perhaps from a mobile if necessary).

2 Likes

BBL is back on some SEN stations tonight. Aus Open tennis coverage appears to still be taking priority in most markets though.

4 Likes

Seems like it’s just being made up as it goes along.

2 Likes

ABC Radio’s commentary team for the third and final women’s ODI between Australia and Pakistan at North Sydney Oval today: Andrew Moore, Brett Sprigg, Quentin Hull, Michelle Goszko, Charlotte Anneveld and Sarah Elliott.

3 Likes

Isnt that SEN’s strategy?

5 Likes

Well its on 2ch tonight. :grinning: Surprised its not on 7.

It’s a Fox exclusive.

Bring on the dodgy pitches, dodgy curries and dodgy phone lines of the subcontinent please! I want some actual cricket to follow . Unfortunately the women’s games aren’t competitive enough.

1 Like

Yeah looking forward to the Indian test series. NZ didn’t do so well against India in the latest one dayer.

It is a shame NZ locally has not much on.

It’s pretty disgraceful really but down to the Almighty Dollar. There’s more $$ in getting NZ to play on the subcontinent than vice versa.

I have been watching the highlights of these NZ ODIs in India and Pakistan but 50 over cricket is mostly boring to me as well (though the first India/NZ ODI was a beauty).

1 Like

Is that really still a thing in this day and age of 4G/5G and audio over IP tech? The TV broadcast of the test series will get out of India via direct satellite uplink with HD (maybe even 4K) quality.

Yet are the radio broadcasters really confined to unreliable phone lines in India?

1 Like

Mostly a figure of speech (and harking back to the 1998 tour) but yes, sometimes things go completely tits up even in this day and age. It even happened in Australia the summer before last with a total coverage blackout. Coverage from the subcontinent has a knack of producing technical glitches. Always good to have a satellite phone handy!

3 Likes

No BBL on SEN tonight, not even on SEN Hobart (which broadcast the Australian Open match between Alex De Minaur and Novak Djokovic instead), despite the Hurricanes in action against the Sixers.

1 Like

SEN’s commentary team for next month’s India v Australia test series has been revealed.

2 Likes

So both abc and SEN, I guess this is the late summer I am looking forward to. I wonder how much of the action will be analog radio? I am sure they won’t have it on before 6pm on 1170 am during the week.

2 Likes

ABC’s commentary team for the second women’s T20 match between Australia and Pakistan at Hobart: Corbin Middlemas, Andrew Moore, Xavier Doherty and Kristen Beams.

3 Likes

Hear hear. Test cricket can’t come soon enough. January has consisted of a rain ruined test match, fast food BBL (Steve Smith’s knocks were good, though) , uncompetitive women’s internationals and ODI cricket overseas. I’ve barely watched a ball all month. It’s definitely not cricket…January should mean hiding from the heat in front of the box!

I realise January is usually the month for short form cricket; I much preferred the days of the 50 over round robin. That was just enough cricket to keep me satisfied; the BBL goes on for too long and a lot of the matches are formulaic and predictable. I will watch the finals though.

9 Likes