COVID-19: New Zealand Lockdown

Have any cases actually been recorded on the south island? It seems crazy to continue a national lockdown if there hasn’t been.

No, but there’s 350 or so close contacts in the South Island so they’re waiting for the two week cycle to release the rest of the country.

4 Likes

82 cases today, all in Auckland.

1 Like

83 cases today, 82 in Auckland and one in Wellington.

1 Like
3 Likes

The announcement came after NZ reported 53 locally acquired cases, all in Auckland.

The health ministry also reported what was believed to be the country’s first recorded death linked to the Pfizer vaccine. An independent COVID-19 vaccine safety monitoring board considered that the woman’s death was due to myocarditis, which is known to be a rare side effect of the Pfizer vaccine.

1 Like

49 cases reported today, all in Auckland. Six babies under the age of one have caught COVID in the current outbreak.

1 Like

75 cases reported today. Ministry of Health has provided a breakdown of the numbers.

3.5 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine has now been administered. Around half of NZ’s eligible population have now received one dose of the vaccine.

1 Like

49 new cases today, all in Auckland.

28 cases today

Bit of tracking I’ve been doing myself
Hard lockdown = fewer locations of interest and fewer positive cases likey to be in the community

2 Likes

The number of new community cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand has fallen to 20 today, but there has been one further death, the Health Ministry has revealed.

20 is good they have really turned this around. Thats what happens when there is no lockdown fatigue. However this could have a long tail end of small number of cases, if elimination is their strategy they would want a bit of a period of 0 cases before opening.

4 Likes

I wonder how long New Zealanders will be ok with borders not opening up. Covid 0 is something very few countries are going for around the world so they will have to be prepared to have closed borders.

This lockdown has also been super strict (Same as the March 2020) one where no takeaways no coffee shops open, no construction, just the essential shops allowed to open. Supermarkets, Dairies Pharmacy.

I recall there being mention in one of the 1PM Covid updates that lockdown could ease as long as all the cases are tied to the existing outbreak & already in isolation.

Goal is to vaccinate as much of the population as possible no % goal meaning no one can go they will be part of the unvaxxed population , once as much as the population is vaxxed as possiable then there is an opening up plan called the Skegg Report.

But that report still says elimination is the strategy they will take once international travel resumes. With the rest of the world going for a different target I find it hard to see how that works

1 Like

On the nz covid website it says 22 new cases, but 3 previous cases have been reclassified, making a net of 19 cases for today.

2 Likes

I think New Zealand has a lower appetite for risk of COVID cases coming back into the community which is why we have higher compliance rates, especially seeing what has happened with Australia. The borders do eventually have to open back up but I see it will being a long drawn out process, I don’t see ‘near-normal’ international travel resuming for New Zealand until late 2022.

2 Likes

25 new cases, with 5 previous cases being reclassified, resulting in a net of 20 new cases

1 Like
  • 743 active cases, 70 and home and 38 in hospital.

• 135 active cases in Auckland, 159 in Waitematā.

• 48% of the population has had their first dose.

20 new cases today. 5 of those cases were infectious in the community. All from Auckland.

Testing rates have fallen pretty low only 4,750 tests done on Sunday.

2 Likes