COVID-19: New Zealand Lockdown

08/09/2021
15 New cases today ALL in Auckland
218 now recovered
25 case NOT linked

2 Likes

9/9/2021: 13 new cases, all in Auckland.

10/9/2021: 11 new cases today, all in Auckland.
29 cases in total not linked.
Auckland remains in alert level 4 until at least September 14. The rest of NZ is now in level 2.
250,000 doses of Pfizer vaccines arrived from Spain this morning.

1 Like

Peak is aparently due some day 5&12 tests coming in.

20 cases today, all in Auckland.
NZ Government has ordered an additional 500,000 doses of Pfizer vaccines from Denmark, which will arrive from middle of this week.

2 Likes

33 cases today, all in Auckland.
The lockdown in Auckland will extend for at least another week.

15 Cases today, 604 Active cases, 22 in Hospital. 57% of NZers have had one jab of vaccine, 29% have had two.

Here’s a handy page from RNZ with stats about the outbreak. It gets updated daily (in the afternoons), despite what the date says at the top of the page.

3 Likes

14 cases today, all in Auckland.

3 Likes

11 cases reported today, all in Auckland.
More than 3 million people in NZ have had their first dose – or 69% of the eligible population (12 years old and up). Just over 35% of the eligible population is now fully vaccinated.

1 Like

From MoH Press release.

There are 20 new community cases today. 19 of these are household or known contacts and only one of these remains unlinked. Interviews are underway with that person to determine how they are linked to the current outbreak. As noted yesterday, we are expecting some fluctuations in case numbers at this point in the outbreak.

12,427 tests were taken yesterday, including more than 7,000 swabs taken in the Auckland region, and more than 1,500 essential worker tests. We have also had over 1,000 saliva tests since Monday with the majority in the last 48 hours. Over 400 employers will be instigating saliva testing for almost 4,500 employees across New Zealand.

Testing at high levels in Auckland remains an essential part of our outbreak response to detect every community case and stop onwards transmission.

We continue to urge anyone in Auckland with cold or flu symptoms, no matter how mild, to come forward to be tested.

In addition, both people with and without symptoms who live in a suburb of interest are asked to get a test. These are: Mt Eden, Massey, Māngere, Favona, Papatoetoe, Ōtara, Manurewa.

1 Like

If New Zealand is persistent on elimination then this lockdown in Auckland is going to continue for a while longer. It is either going to be a long tail end to 0 or they eventually might need to rethink their strategy.

2 Likes

They have to rethink their strategy at some point. You can’t go for an elimination strategy when you are one of the only countries in the world going for that. Unless they plan to shut themselves off to the rest of the world forever.

Agree. New Zealand need to change their approach. Time to join the world.

They will have too at some point. I’m hoping that they do before the end of the year. My brother and his wife moved to New Zealand at the start of the year and have since had a baby. They had a trip planned here literally that last week that the New Zealand bubble closed. So they postponed it until Christmas but now that is looking unlikely unless New Zealand take a new approach. My mum is really struggling with the prospect now of them being closed off for a very long time and is regretting not going over there whilst the bubble was open.

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold much hope for a bubble or any international travel arriving in NZ even next year. We are only introducing the trial of small scale home quarantine for vaccinated business travellers about now.

It will be glacially slow opening our borders and I can imagine most NZ’ers are not keen to open up to the world even though tourism providers would say otherwise.
I don’t see any major movement till Mid-2022 at the earliest.

In regards of the elimination/hard lockdown strategy, it is bearing fruit keeping case numbers relatively low they are trending in the right direction but Aucklanders I can imagine are growing weary of lockdown, so it really is going to be determining factor about the number of cases this upcoming week whether they are heading lower or stay stagnate around the 10-20 mark.

Edit: Spelling

2 Likes

I think this week will be crucial. Basically the fact there’s still 18 cases appearing is evidence that lockdown doesn’t work nearly as well under Delta.

However, NZ might still be trapped by its slow vaccination rates and the like. I have some hope for L3 still being rubber stamped this week but hotel quarantine is going to be with us for some time.

3 Likes

Nope… hasn’t worked in Melbourne or Canberra. All it’s doing is holding it. Eventually it will slowly break through.

1 Like

Yes, Covid is here to stay (long term) but how we run our pandemic response in NZ is to reduce the total number of unnecessary deaths, that is the overarching goal, it always has been. To do this, we need the maximum percentage of population with two doses of vaccine. Nothing will change until we reach that point… and yes, it is an ambiguous point, but do you really want to kill your grannies? Until then the lockdowns and the travel restrictions will remain.

I heard a really good summary about the jabs two Sunday’s ago on RNZ National, which goes something like this:
One doses of vaccine means you’ll stay out of the cemetery.
Two doses of vaccine means you’ll stay out of hospital.

Don’t be a boofhead, get vaccinated NZ.

4 Likes

New Zealand recorded 24 COVID cases yesterday (September 19), three of which are not linked to existing cases. Of the 21 remaining cases, 19 were household contacts of known cases. Twelve were in quarantine when tested and the rest were isolating at home.

Today (September 20) the country recorded 22 cases, 19 in Auckland and 3 in Waikato (the trio tested positive after coming into contact with a remand prisoner released on e-monitored bail from Auckland’s Mt Eden Prison).
Jacinda Ardern had announced that Auckland would move to COVID alert level 3 at 11.59pm tomorrow for at least two weeks. The rest of the country will stay in level 2, but the rules would be changed to allow a maximum of 100 people to gather, including at hospitality venues. Waikato would have its own set of additional restrictions due to the new cases.

Today’s update.

Also this story from the weekend.

2 Likes

23 cases reported in NZ yesterday (September 22), all in Auckland, 22 were linked to previous cases. Eleven are household contacts, including six within one household.