COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

Nine News is reporting that at least five people who were at the MCG on Monday for the Boxing Day Ashes Test have returned positive results on rapid antigen tests. They’re still awaiting PCR test results which will determine whether any other cricket fans will need to isolate as close contact. Today Show reporter Izabella Staskowski told 3AW breakfast that she understood that the five people were all from the same group.

Covid commander Jeroen Weimar will announce in the coming days how rat will be used more widely in the testing framework to allow people to get early confirmation of their status and to get people back into work quicker

5 Likes

Covid commander Jeroen Weimar has revealed that it was WorkSafe who took vic dh court to make them hand over information from the services victoria covid-19 check in app sand vic dh defended themselves and resisted to hand it over and Worksafe backed away from the action

According to the Herald-Sun, Worksafe discontinued their action because they had gathered enough information in order to prosecute without the check-in records.

1 Like

I just got back to melbourne today and I cannot believe how quiet it is. It’s not an exaggeration when people say how many people have gone interstate.

2 Likes

I went up to Echuca/Moama over the Christmas weekend and I couldn’t believe how quiet it was on Christmas/Boxing Days. It started to pick on Monday and yesterday but it’s not as busy as it should be.

Normally it would be packed with tourists etc this time of the year.

3 Likes

I shopped in the city yesterday. Myer was still quite busy but not as busy as it usually would at that time of the year.

I think a lot of people are just avoiding big public areas as much they can as they don’t want to have to get a test or isolate over the break. With the number of cases I would rather things be a bit quieter than mass crowds everywhere.

1 Like

Or get Covid.

2 Likes

Nearly every single person that I’ve spoken too (friends and family all fully vaxxed) over the past two weeks isn’t that concerned about getting COVID. They are more concerned about having to isolate for a period over Christmas/New Year’s or the break.

I am exactly the same. I have a few important things coming up including moving house next week. I’ve accepted we will all likely get COVID at some point, it’s just if I have important things coming up I am going to be more picky on my movements in the lead up to it.

2 Likes

My point is not everyone is in the same situation as you and your friends. Im not being cautious because I dont want to isolate, im being cautious because I dont want to get covid. Its not all just about missing out on Xmas or NY.

Ok. I’m talking from my perspective. This doesn’t need to be a debate.

lol im not debating you. I was just saying people are being cautious to (as you say) not have to isolate, but also, to not catch covid.

Anyway. Moving on.

Someone at work got covid a few weeks ago. I asked her if it was Omicron or Delta and she said she asked that as well and they said no its just regular covid. So its not just the two variants circulating around Melbourne.

What’s regular COVID?

Is that the first variant before Delta came to play?

Most people aren’t told what strain they have. We have pretty much only had Delta circulating the last few months until Omicron arrived.

She told me they said if you have a variant you would be notified. And she got told on the phone it was just ‘regular covid’. They are really busy so maybe things were lost in translation. Or maybe Delta is just ‘regular covid’ to them. I am not sure.

I assumed it was the first variant from Wuhan.

I didnt think they were identifying a specific variant unless it was medically important

Current analysis suggests its only Delta and Omicron in the wild

Maybe she just got confused then and maybe she was just told you would be notified if it was omicron.