COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

One day last week Nine News GC said there were 59 flights into Coolangatta on one day.

Courier Mail reported today that 400,000 visitors had applied to enter Queensland

From the article it seems that they are talking about replacing the Day 5 with a Rapid.

Can’t see anything about stopping the before entry PCR.

That decision won’t do anything for VIC/NSW testing facilities.

They already announced last week that rapid tests would be used for the 72 hour departure test.

Not quite confirmed, yet. Day 5 has been, nothing else. The below was quoted in today’s presser

‘We’ve said we’ll consider that over time and look at how the current policy position of the government may be changed from January 1, but there is no change to that position at the moment,’ Queensland Treasurer Cameron Dick said.

But we will continue to monitor it and take health advice. [But], not at this stage no.’

1 Like

The reports of Queensland Police checking test results seems mixed - some have said that they’ve crossed the border with no check, some turned around and told they can’t enter and some told that if you don’t have results yet they are able to enter as long as they isolate until they get their results

There doesn’t seem to be any consistency to how its being applied either.

Herald Sun reporting that a secret Supreme Court ruling has confirmed personal information shared with contact tracers or through QR codes does not have “absolute protection”, despite contact tracers telling Victorians that details divulged will only be used for health purposes. Covid Commander Jeroen Weimar launched a legal bid to have the court case kept secret for five years.

So what? Of course there is going to be some overspill with these on the fly implementations of these things. People just need to stop with this crap. We share our personal information numerous times a day. What’s the alternative? No QR code check in and more covid?

1 Like

I had lunch at Mimi’s in Coogee last week. The friend I was with commented on using the QR code to enter the restaurant in regard to her privacy. Twenty minutes later she asked me to take a photo of her with her first cocktail, which she promptly posted on her Facebook page under the caption “midday drinks at Mimi’s”

Sigh.

11 Likes

The defence rests. :rofl:

1 Like

Same thing would happen if someone refused to check in because of invasion of privacy but yet pays with a credit card or is using a mobile phone.

2 Likes

From what I’m reading it seems like Delta is still the dominant strain here. Probably why hospitalisations are staying in pretty much the same range since we’ve opened. We were always projected to hit a peak at the end of December so we appear to be in line with that but that could change as more Omicron cases pop up.

Good to see that 25,000 vaccines (mostly boosters) were administered on Boxing Day. I’m guessing most would have been from pharmacies. At least giving them more incentives means that we aren’t halting completely over Christmas and New Year’s period.

It’s not an unreasonable request that the data be used for the purpose it has been collected for and only that purpose - the app is to assist with contact tracing, not to make law enforcement’s job easier.

4 Likes

This is poor form IMO, concerning that they’d attempt to suppress this regardless of whether it’s in the “public interest” or not. Sets a dangerous precedent.

5 Likes

Had a early start this morning, was 30 cars waiting in a testing site at 430am.

What happens if QLD refuses to budge?

I can tell you they were closing up at Bourke St walk in testing centre yesterday at 8:35. Got lucky to get to Town Hall centre 10 minutes later before the line went around the corner, although it took an hour from lining up to getting the test to return to Qld done.

Noticed people queuing up outside a now closed testing site near me. They look like they are sleeping in the queue overnight. Pillows and all, camp chairs outside the car.

Rapid tests are under supplied until the 4th Week of Jan. If QLD goes rapid test for entry, where exactly are they coming from? The system is going to be clogged for the next month.

In an ideal world, governments would hire more workers to process PCR tests more quickly than they currently are, but unfortunately that’s unlikely to happen as they won’t want to spend more money.

As great as rapid antigen tests are, we know that PCR tests are more reliable so if we opened more testing sites and had more people working on them to process results faster, that would be good, but again, unlikely.

Earlier this year the Victorian government did just that at Monash Health which tripled capacity for processing pcr tests. Most pathology labs are privately operated these days (Monash is an exception) so governments have little influence. I’m not sure about interstate arrangements.

1 Like