COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

You get these people everywhere. I would say most people fully support the shut down that’s happening in Melbourne.

1 Like

source the age

Hotel debacle may be root of all Melbourne COVID cases: Sutton

By Rachael Dexter

It is “conceivable” that all of the active COVID-19 in Victoria stem from Melbourne’s problem quarantine hotel program, the state’s Chief Health Officer has revealed.

Speaking on ABC Radio Melbourne’s Drive Program on Monday evening, Professor Brett Sutton said that while the viruses that are currently circulating had not all yet been sampled, it was possible they were all linked.
“We don’t know the exact proportion [that are linked to hotel quarantine], we know that it’s genomically linked to the quarantine cases but not all of the viruses that are out there at the moment are sampled, not all of them can be grown in order to get the genomic sequencing - but I think we’ve said previously a very significant proportion was shown up in an early snapshot of that,” he said.

“So it’s still [the case that] most, if not all, comes from the one problem in one hotel?” asked Drive host Rafael Epstein.

“Yeah that’s conceivable absolutely,” said Professor Sutton.
“No one wants to have that be the case. I felt that everyone who was managing that quarantine program because they were actually doing a fantastic job managing all of the logistic complexities of it,” he said.

“But it speaks to, you know, the dangers of any positive case out there and the ability for it to spread very extensively as has occurred.”

2 Likes

Pursuing an elimination strategy will require leadership. It will require lockdowns to be extended, so that they continue even when local transmission is nearly gone. It means the Melbourne lockdowns should continue until active cases in the community reach zero and remain there for two weeks. Where there are active cases, the government should encourage people to wear masks in public spaces this is what there already doing in melbourne and the mitchell shire

edit: i dont agree with this at all. i only posted this to see what people thought of this

If they wanted elimination All of Victoria would need to be under lockdown as would all of australia. Elimination is just not going to happen. It is too late.

4 Likes

personally with someone with mental health issues i dont think people could handle that extreme lockdown if if the grattan insitiue is saying for the melboune and mitchell shire lock down to continue till theres basically no transmission at all then two weeks on top of that . so that could be 2months or more . and i agree its now to late for this to happen. suppression is the only way there going to go now

1 Like

We could go hard lockdowns for long periods and never achieve elimination. Some of the countries that achieved it, like New Zealand, have significantly smaller populations, are more spread out and had lower cases to start off with. Elimination only works for as long as borders are closed too which can’t be forever. The fact that most countries that even had stage 4 restrictions for long periods are seeing a rise in case numbers again goes to show that it is really hard to achieve.

1 Like

Not to mention NZ aren’t nearly getting as many returning OS travelers. I would have been all for the elimination strategy but it would have required stage 4 lockdowns back in April.

We have the medical facilities, and now approved drugs to help so the stage 3 lockdowns played their part. We clearly know the breaking point for the Governments and hopefully they can learn and contain outbreaks quicker next time.

In hindsight, Australia should have gone for hard lock-down in March and tried to eliminate the virus.

I think what we’re seeing now in Victoria is that the economy wont be able to recover with a suppression strategy. We cant re-open and then close again (Back and forth) . This will ultimately do more damage overall.

If the source of the current outbreaks in Melbourne was from hotel quarantine though, wouldn’t we still be in the same situation if we took that path (or possibly worse if restrictions had eased more then it probably would have spread faster)?

It’s a tough one because the economy can’t take the hit of a stage 4 lockdown now either and it won’t necessarily achieve elimination. That window of opportunity has probably passed. I think after this lockdown ends we need to sustain levels of restrictions over a longer period. e.g. Only 2-5 guests per household or per table at a restaurant should be the norm for at least a couple months after lockdown ends. The virus really can continue to be supressed more over time if we can still open up but still in a restricted way.

2 Likes

Includes two people fined for playing Pokemon in Seville (in Yarra Valley in Melbourne’s outer east, towards Warburton), and a man who insisted on dining in a KFC restaurant.

Seriously, there really are some … out there!!

1 Like

what is with KFC and people breaking lockdown laws?? This is the 2nd KFC related offence in a week

KFC isn’t even that good, certainly not worth breaking the law for

3 Likes

would you rather go to McDonalds or even Red Rooster

Not the point he was making.

People breaching lockdown conditions for fast food is a pathetic excuse. End of story.

3 Likes

The popcorn chicken and chips are great. Chicken not so much these days. Saturated oil and too greezy these days.

I think you missed the point of lock down. Not really about the fast food itself. More rather about the fact that the person broke the restriction to get take out. Absolute idiot. Theres a thing called Uber Eats that can have it delievered. But anyway.

That’s allowed under the restrictions. He insisted on eating it at the restaurant and refused to leave until he’d finished it.

Anyone can go out and buy take away. There is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is willing to pay inflated uber eats and delivery prices.

You obviously can’t eat on the premises though. Last week my boyfriend and I bought takeaway then ate it in our car, which is fine to do.

2 Likes

Some store owners in Melbourne shopping centres have complained of people wandering into the stores because they were bored. I think quarantine fatigue has set in. Apart from enforcing the stay home rule, the Victorian Government and the rest of community should offer suggestions for indoor activities during the current lockdown, so people who don’t have to work or study at home, won’t get bored and go out unnecessarily.

Are you serious?

People don’t need to be babied. They can find things to do themselves.

The last thing the community needs is more instructions and suggestions. Fatigue has set in. No point reminding them how shit life is now by giving them ideas as if they’re children.

7 Likes

I reckon the government have enough on their plate to worry about babysitting grown adults so they don’t get bored.

3 Likes