COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

But how?
There are only that many movies and TV shows they can binge at home, and that many puzzles they can do at home (I know News Corp is doing its part by having a double page brain games in its metro papers every day).

What kind of things can the government suggest that people canā€™t find on their own?

1 Like

It doesnā€™t have to be the government, the general community and the media can also offer ideas.

Point is it doesnā€™t matter who it is. Adults are capable of looking after themselves.

7 Likes

Lots of media companies have. 10 put heaps of shows on 10play. Binge has offered 1 month free. People should just find something themselves to do. We are all grown adults. Learn a new language, knit etc.

3 Likes

This came after Victoria recorded another two deaths and 317 new COVID-19 cases yesterday.

Is Andrews serious? What number is he waiting for? The magic 1000? Up restrictions now or you will single handedly be responsible if this virus moves to the rest of the country.

It takes about a week or so to see the full effect of the restrictions. It has been a week since the lockdown began. Hopefully by the end of this weekend weā€™ll have a better understanding on what is going on. Come Monday/Tuesday if things arenā€™t getting better then probably stage 4 restrictions should be in place but I guess time will tell.

Plus it shouldnā€™t spread nationwide since every state has its borders shut to Victoria.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot more to it than just the headline numbers on the front page. Let the experts do their job, Andrews and Morrison will do what is required, obviously harsher city wide restrictions are not seen as required at this point.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad that Dan addressed this today. Iā€™m sick of the medias constant headlines making out like we are going to stage 4 and so many people think/fear itā€™s happening. The amount of people that have messaged me this week talking like itā€™s happening is astounding. Of course it could be considered if in a weekā€™s time the lockdowns arenā€™t taking affect on numbers but they need a 2 week cycle to make that decision.

5 Likes

Yeah the constant media hype has everyone scared. It needed to be addressed and it was good he did it. He seemed a little more optimistic today.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I do often wonder though if that could be a double edged sword; the media enstalls fear in the public with the threat of an ever looming stage 4. Iā€™d guess that could keep some peopleā€™s behaviour in checkā€¦

I donā€™t think instilling fear is the way to get through to people. I watch Gruen a few years ago and they compared European ads for drink driving to Australian ads. The Australian ads were quite threatening and tried making us fearful whereas the European ads tried to enforce a positive message and noted that we wouldnā€™t do this when we were 6 why would we do it now. And apparently the statistics showed that this problem was higher here than in Europe.

2 Likes

the hearld sun is a good prime example of this. and i have noitced 7 news as well

They have been terrible. Ive switched to 9. Still some sensationalism creeping in, but nothing that from the likes of Mike Amor and co.

Agree. We had a team meeting for work this morning (via Microsoft Teams of course) and everyone was talking about / worried about Stage 4. It just shows that everyone is thinking this. Just stay home and follow the rules and stop worrying about what MIGHT happen IF things get worse. Itā€™s so easy to get caught up in it especially if you only hear the headlines but itā€™s not helpful to people and gives added stress. It can affect people mentally. Iā€™m kind of trying to make a conscious effort to get the updates direct from the press conferences and not watch the news anymore but itā€™s still hard to avoid when people post so much about it.

Agree regarding Seven. Especially on social media too. Itā€™s just tabloid fear headlines. Even just now from 7 I saw this headline: ā€œDan Andrews addresses stage 4 rumours - The premiere has issued a stern warning after 317 new casesā€. Like, come on. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

So we should all be grateful to NewCorp for providing a double page of brain games in these difficult times?
:rofl:

2 Likes

I get all my brain games from this forum. 85% from you Jbar

I do my best to keep you all on your toes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sutton says it was not his decision to keep hotel infection data secret

By Paul Sakkal

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says it was not his decision to keep secret the genomic sequencing that could reveal how many of Victoriaā€™s COVID-19 cases are linked to the stateā€™s quarantine hotel outbreaks.
Sequencing to track the source of infections determined in early July that a significant proportion of new coronavirus cases in Melbourneā€™s north and west were linked to cases traced back to quarantine hotels.A new set of genomic testing has since been completed, but the government says it will not be revealed publicly because it will be examined during a judicial inquiry into the hotel quarantine scheme, set to begin next Monday, July 20.