COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

What’s regular COVID?

Is that the first variant before Delta came to play?

Most people aren’t told what strain they have. We have pretty much only had Delta circulating the last few months until Omicron arrived.

She told me they said if you have a variant you would be notified. And she got told on the phone it was just ‘regular covid’. They are really busy so maybe things were lost in translation. Or maybe Delta is just ‘regular covid’ to them. I am not sure.

I assumed it was the first variant from Wuhan.

I didnt think they were identifying a specific variant unless it was medically important

Current analysis suggests its only Delta and Omicron in the wild

Maybe she just got confused then and maybe she was just told you would be notified if it was omicron.

Last I heard, the DNA sequencing to find out the variant costs $30,000 a pop. I’d hope they are keeping that to the bare minimum for a test sample.
Is the data really that important at this point?

1 Like

It was reported a couple of days ago that they’re no longer testing to determine which strain someone has, which is probably why they’re calling it ‘regular’ covid.

1 Like

That is not correct. You are told positive or negative. They do not genetically sequence everyone’s results.

1 Like

this will be the new definition of close contact that requires testing and isolation. from 12am

The confirmed case will ISO for 7 days (from test date and have a neg RAT teat on day 6)
Close contact showing symptoms MUST have PCR test
Close contact who is showing no symptoms must have a RAT test - if neg, must ISO still for 7 days (from date of exposure of confirmed cases) with RAT on day 6.

Yeah I did post this after:

Has anyone else stopped looking at the numbers each and every day?

Ever since the re-opening, I’ve stopped looking into the daily numbers and started to enjoy life again. Now I basically skim though them - similar to Facebook. It’s probably not the attitude to have but I don’t seem to care anymore. Where as prior to re-opening, I was right into the daily numbers etc.

1 Like

I did stop looking at them back in November but I have to admit I have looked at them more lately. Only because I have seen the trend in NSW and wondered how it would look here.

I’m more engaged with the numbers now than i have been in months. How high can they go?

Only really the last couple of weeks I have taken interest again. Although the difference from then to now… a few months ago we were gobsmacked by 2000+ cases and now 5000+ cases doesn’t even have as close to the same impact (apart from making me more conscious when out and about). I’m glad that we are learning to live with it.

1 Like

It’s funny thinking back to 2020 and how we were so alarmed when cases hit the 600s and 700s.

Nowadays we are recording 2000+ cases a day and no one bats an eyelid (except the media who are driving the fear).

1 Like

Continue Discussion Here:

1 Like