COVID-19: Essential Shopping/Retail (Supermarkets, Food, Jigsaws etc)

My local Woolworths store hadn’t had wholemeal flour on the shelf since March, so it was a relief to see dozens of flour last weekend. But with the new wave of panic buying, I managed to grab the last two packs of wholemeal flour today, so my father can make wholemeal bread for the family.

HAHA. :stuck_out_tongue:
I know right. I got in a c hat with someone at my local woolies on hte way home today, and he said he’s scared because COVID-19 can infiltrate your brain and mind and he’s worried that it could make his shit runny. I chose to end that conversation when he tried to suggest that wearing face masks is more dangerous then being alone at a park at night intoxicated.

God help us.

2 Likes

That’s the most stupidest thing I ever heard.

There is no hope for some people. Have a look at the insanity from anti-maskers in America.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/coronavirus-angry-florida-residents-hit-back-at-enforced-mask-use/news-story/d13923ee884fb04e5185d068a45f4d34

3 Likes

Or seen typed. Imagine my face when he said it to me.

Yeah saw that when The View co hosts were talking about it. My god, how insane are these people?

Seven’s Gold Coast News report - seemed a bit alarmist to me

“while stock was available at Coles and Woolworths, many shelves had been stripped bare.” :thinking:

4 Likes

Most supermarkets I’ve seen are running low on toilet paper, but they never truly run out. There’s always an absolute shitload of this “Tenderly” crap (which from what I can tell, is toilet paper for use in commercial settings, re-packaged for sale in supermarkets) that’s been left behind after the Quilton/Kleenex stuff has been cleared out.

2 Likes

The limits were in place, however no shortages observed in a few supermarkets I’ve visited here in Perth mid last-week (in fact, one Coles I went to on Sunday had the shelves overflowing, presumably in preparation).

2 Likes

The one thing that was really low when I went was hand soap - were these people not otherwise washing their hands so need an emergency stockpile?

I also saw that Tenderly that’s Made in China at my local Woolworths today. There was a giant stack of it and nothing else. My local Aldi has been trying to flog similar imported toilet rolls, but it has been a hard sell, and despite there being no Aldi own brand rolls left today there was still a stack of the China made rolls at a now reduced price.

Coles has been forced to impose additional product limits on a range of chilled and frozen goods in its Victorian and Tasmanian stores, after a coronavirus outbreak at its Laverton distribution centre in Melbourne’s west, causing all staff to be tested for COVID-19 and leading to the complex being understaffed. The product limits also apply to Coles in Lavington, Albury and Deniliquin in NSW.

1 Like

https://www.lifestyle.com.au/tv/goggleboxs-lee-and-keith-send-confronting-message-to-new-wave-of-panicbuying.aspx

Posting on their Instagram, the Goggleboxers shared a video of their local shop’s bare toilet paper aisle delivering a very frank message:

“There’s no toilet paper, again,” Keith says. “People, please, didn’t we learn from the first time?”

“Apparently not, Keith,” Lee replies.

“Get fair dinkum,” the council worker continues. “We’re not in the panic! Get fair dinkum!”

Woolworths published a full page ad in The Age and Herald Sun today, announcing new hygienic measures including nurses at its supermarkets in hotspot areas across Melbourne.

2 Likes

Coles will remove all product purchase limits tomorrow after reintroducing them a few weeks ago due to the return of panic buying.

2 Likes

I dunno about others, but literally the only thing I haven’t been able to get has been baking paper. It’s such an odd thing to be out of stock, but I haven’t been able to buy it in weeks at my local Woolworths.

I won’t be surprised if we see Coles (and possibly Woolworths) reintroduce product limits restrictions in Victoria again in the next couple of hours and days if there’s an increase of panic buying with the rumoured lockdown for metropolitan Melbourne after Coles lifting their restrictions today.

I don’t understand how the public think. They know that the supermarkets won’t close yet they go a panic buy.

2 Likes

A bit of a rush in Melbourne.

1 Like

I must have missed the part where they mentioned Woolworths was closing?

God we are an embarrassment.

Woolworths dropped its product limit yesterday, but said it would reintroduce limits if panic buying returns in the future.

UPDATE 8/7: Coles and Woolworths did reintroduce product limits on essential items, hours after the Victorian Government announced that Melbourne would return to stage 3 lockdown from midnight tonight.
Woolworths’ limits were reintroduced early this morning across 27 product categories in Victoria instore and online.
From Herald Sun website:

The Woolworths two-pack product limits apply to: Frozen vegetables, frozen potatoes, frozen fruit, frozen fish, frozen poultry, pre-packed sausages, pre-packed burger patties, rissoles and meatball, pre-packed carrots, pre-packed potatoes, chilled fresh milk, sliced bread loaves, frozen pizza, frozen party snacks, frozen meals, frozen seafood, chilled juice, pre-packed bacon, tissues, dry pasta, eggs, flour, hand sanitiser, long-life milk, mince, paper towel, rice, sugar

The existing limit of two toilet roll packs per customers remains in place in Victoria and all other states and territories.

The Coles two-pack limits apply to: Chicken breast, hand sanitiser, chicken thighs, liquid soaps, chilled pasta, long-life milk, eggs, mince meat, flour, paper towels, fresh white milk, pasta, frozen chips, rice, frozen desserts, sugar, frozen fruit, tissues, frozen vegetables

Coles also has a one-pack limit on toilet paper.

2 Likes