COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

I suppose one other thing to consider, there are council elections in Queensland in a fortnight. Fortunately I’ve just applied for a postal vote to come my way (only need to vote for a mayor, the candidate in our division is unopposed). How will any restrictions effect that? I’m also reading that some local footy competitions are postponed until at least Easter, if not longer in the case of the VFL.

And for the criminals, they’ll just plead not guilty, ask for a jury to hear their case so they can delay the case, and just pay bail to stay out if possible.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone’s brought this up yet, but given the fact that EPL, J league, Champions league, Europea Champions league plus women’s events in Europe that are affected. Optus Sport has almost had a year’s worth of live content wiped out…

1 Like

And it’s not Monday yet, so everything is alright.

2 Likes

Thanks to the NZ restrictions yesterday, our holiday has been cancelled. Was due to be there this time next week so we missed out by exactly one week. I can understand it and I agree, but we’re pretty disappointed and so are the kids as they’d been counting down for months and really looking forward to it. Thought about keeping the Melbourne leg but we’ve canned that one too so that we can avoid getting sick as it is likely to change considerably this week.
I do feel that ScoMo is really copping some unfair criticism. There’s so many sudden experts around but there needs to be a balance between keeping people safe and keeping people employed and businesses open. There’s bound to be a lot who won’t be able to make it through this unfortunately and a lot who will be affected by the 500 people shutdown, comedians and performers in particular.

2 Likes

Some silly bastard from Queensland got a Coronavirus test done, then promptly flew to New Zealand before getting the test results back!

He was out in public and visiting cafes while over there. Unbelievably irresponsible behaviour.

3 Likes

Richard Wilkins has tested positive.

1 Like

Bloody idiots.

1 Like

Yikes! There’ll be a lot of Channel 9 employees nervous now. Channel 9 already have Tracey Grimshaw, David Campbell and Belinda Russell out of action.

7 Likes

What’s happing in Christchurch at Countdown today. Kiwis are stockpiling

2 Likes

You’d think Nine Melbourne might have to prepare to take over the presentation of TCN-based productions? As for the local side of things, we might even soon be watching combined Sydney/Melbourne bulletins?

Richard Wilkins diagnosed with COVID-19

3 Likes

2 Likes

I think you need to calm down. That hasn’t been unusual in places like Europe. I’m no big fan of Morrison, but I think he’s acted appropriately.

That being said, I think the real panic is going to set in from tomorrow. I’ve been hesitant to buy too much, since I’m very aware that my age (mid-20s) isn’t badly affected and I’m fit, healthy and don’t have any pre-existing conditions. However, I work for a major company with multiple offices in every state - there’s bound to be a case that will see us all put into 14 day quarantine by the end of March, and I don’t have the supplies to last more than five.

I imagine a lot of us more “rational” people who have refrained from panic buying are going to be filling their trolleys just a little bit more from tomorrow.

2 Likes

There will need to be strict WWII style coupon rationing if this madness is to end- I don’t see it getting better any time soon. Sad that it has come to this. I feel the panic will only worsen as liberties are increasingly taken away, necessary certainly but alien to most in a democracy such as ours. But these are extraordinary times and to paraphrase Carl Sagan, require extraordinary measures.

1 Like

Meanwhile Richard Wilkins has no symptoms

3 Likes

UQ is ‘pausing’ teaching for a week

1 Like

Six 1 litre bottles of hand sanitizer were stolen from the News Corp building in Surry Hills last week. The building manager is livid and is trying to find out who the thief is, according to an apparently innocent Nick Tabakoff in The Australian.

1 Like

Yesterday after customers barreled at Bass Hills Woolies

1 Like

Many public institutions in Victoria are closed from today to combat coronavirus.

I got an email from Arts Centre Melbourne late last night advising of its closure from midnight until at least April 13.

2 Likes

Found this excellent article detailing the ins and outs of Italy’s lockdown:

https://www.thelocal.it/20200310/the-form-you-need-to-travel-in-italy-under-new-coronavirus-rules

I suggest reading this as it’s likely something similar will occur in Australia over the coming weeks. How harsh enforcement will be remains to be seen; I expect random spot checks similar to RBTs will be done, with fines and possible licence suspensions.