COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Gatherings of just 50 for the US

2 Likes

Melbourne’s live performance industry has been hit hard by government restrictions on mass gatherings of 500 people or more. Apart from the four week closure of Arts Centre, Billy Elliott the musical has been forced to cut short its Melbourne season by a month. Last night’s performance was the final performance in the city.

I think the early end to the Melbourne season will cost the production company tens of thousands of dollars in ticket sales.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child musical has been suspended until at least Easter Sunday, April 12.

1 Like

I wonder what programming strategies the networks will employ should all major sporting events be suspended.

I wonder if Nine and Seven would screen replays of finals series to fill in their daytime commitments in the NRL and AFL. Or will we be bored to death with more realty tv encores

3 Likes

More likely this - and yes, more likely to kill younger and fitter Australians than COVID-19!

1 Like

The NRL will not be bailed out by the federal government, at least not anytime soon. This Peter V’Landys character gets less likeable the more he speaks.

4 Likes

We should just bite the bullet and cancel all public events regardless of size including all sport, and all non-essential public spaces such as museums, zoos etc. The Australian Museum in Sydney is closed for renovations anyway. Shopping centres could remain open for now but should be open limited hours and a move to online ordering/delivery where possible (such as at Harvey Norman etc.)

After that, I’m afraid total lockdown with Italian style measures might be required.

4 Likes

So concentrating shoppers at certain times rather than them being spread out across the day as it is now.

3 Likes

Here in Melbourne, the Zoo at Parkville is open for the time being as is Royal Botanic Gardens, as they have plenty of open spaces. Melbourne Museum, Scienceworks, Immigration Museum and Shrine of Remembrance however are temporarily closed.

2 Likes

Yes- correct, you’d have to limit the number of people in the centre at any given time. But this will be hard to enforce. Something like this will have to operate in the lockdown though, given that many supermarkets are located within shopping centres.

1 Like

Anzac Day Commemorations have been cancelled in NSW.

1 Like

Also cancelled in Tasmania and WA.

It means there won’t be official dawn service and marches in these states on April 25. However, I hope the public and veterans will still be allowed to lay flowers and wreaths at the war monuments (e.g. Cenotaph at Martin Place) during the day.

2 Likes

The markets dropped 10% today. Ridiculous.

2 Likes

Stating the obvious here. Everything that is shutting down or is cancelled is costing companies hundreds or thousands or millions now.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Supermarkets and Retail

Swinburne University in Melbourne have also cancelled classes for this week

1 Like

Anzac Day dawn service will go ahead in Victoria but closed to the public.

The current infection rate in Taiwan is low because they acted fast.

3 Likes

RBTs scrapped for now in Queensland

5 Likes

RBT and RDT have also been halted in NSW, Victoria and WA, The Australian is reporting.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s surprising and it might give idiots who are inclined to drink drive the idea they can get away with it.

I’d imagine - not being a medical professional - that face masks & gloves for the cops and wiping clean the breathaliser would be sufficient, but I guess not.