COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

WA recorded no new cases of COVID-19 overnight, two active cases are being monitored in hotel quarantine.

1 Like

I’m interested in these vaccination “blitz’s” QLD run most weekends. Do they provide results? Are there higher vaccination rates than on any other normal day?

Saturday’s numbers were mentioned this morning. Premin numbers said the 2nd highest day ever, but may go higher.

1 Like

Very easy to discern the numbers on a variety of different websites that provide COVID stats that drill down to state / aged-care / GP/pharmacy numbers.

Successful so far, but not all initiatives have been as effective as others.

1 Like

Next weekend will also have theme park and zoo pop ups associated with the long weekend for Brisbane.

1 Like

Chief Minister Michael Gunner said that 86% of Territorians over the age of 16 have their first dose of COVID vaccine, while 75% are fully vaccinated.

QLD: 0 new cases overnight.

Is there any news on when the vaccine might be available to the 5-11 year age group?

1 Like

Bloomberg reports a top lobby group for Hong Kong’s financial firms has written a letter to Financial Secretary Paul Chan, saying the government’s COVID-zero policy and strict quarantine rules has put the city’s status as financial centre its broader economic recovery and competitiveness at risk.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/global-banks-step-up-pressure-on-hong-kong-to-ease-restrictions

I have been really critical of QLD in the last few weeks. But it really seems they are picking up on those first doses in the last 7 days. They are back to administering more first doses than second doses. And had a really good Sunday.

SA looks set to hit the 80% mark in the next two days for single dose. Still not roadmap to opening up according to the national plan.

People talk about the laggard states as if they are miles behind. they are only a few weeks behind, heading towards 80% single dose with momentum. I think that’s a great achievement considering how little incentive and urgency they have. I would gladly trade a border closure for an extra month over a 3 month lockdown.

5 Likes

That’s coming tomorrow I believe.

That’s what happens when our “national” media is based out of Sydney. All media businesses have been guilty of pushing this angle way too hard, when realistically at the very most the delay is 1 or 2 months.

Also a lot of people don’t even know what the actual vax percentages are in their own state or others. The narrative painting QLD or WA “dead last” has many assuming that either state is trailing all other states by 10 or 20%, when realistically SA/WA/QLD are probably going to end up about a week apart when it comes to milestones.

6 Likes

Absolute lunacy from these two people. Fair enough if you think these rules are not your type but at least have the decency to respect the processes in the jurisdiction which are not unreasonable.

2 Likes

Caleb Harold Cox, 32, today pleaded guilty to breaching WA’s strict COVID travel laws by flying into Perth two days before the game, and not disclosing that only days earlier he had been in Victoria, where there was an outbreak.

(Perth Magistrate Michelle) Harries sentenced Cox to seven months’ jail, with one month to be served immediately and six months suspended.

UPDATED 28/10:

1 Like

lol, any excuse will do. There are no exceptions, it is a football match, not the pope’s farewell visit.

QLD Update: 2 local cases + an interstate case
1 is an unvaccinated 17 y/o from the Gold Coast.
1 traveller from Melbourne in home quarantine.
A truck driver has tested positive in NSW visited Bundaberg

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced that international students will return to study in the state from next year, and will be the first group to use the new quarantine facility, currently under construction at Wellcamp Airport outside Toowoomba.

NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner said this morning that fully vaccinated domestic and international arrivals to “high vaccination zones” in the Territory would no longer need to quarantine from January 18. Gunner said the government’s plan was to shorten the home quarantine period to seven days from December 20. Arrivals will only be eligible for home quarantine, and ultimately no quarantine, if they undertake their quarantine period in “high-vaccination areas”, where the double dose vaccination rate is above 80%.

It is absolutely ridiculous its taken this long.

Won’t the cases in QLD today likely see that change again? I’d hope not but we all know how WA operates.