COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Not officially part of the national plan, other states have made similar commitments without tying it to the national plan mind you.

NT could be a worry, they used to be a leader, but now they are about to fall behind SA in first doses, and they are increasing very slowly. They have already made pfizer available to everyone 12+, they don’t have many levers left to pull. they are only at 84% utilisation.

ACT is pretty incredible, they are over 80% and still going strong on a Sunday, 0.79% of over 16s got their first jab yesterday.

1 Like

I expected to see that the remote areas of NT would be the issue and looking at the most recent vax numbers by SA3 (Statistical Regions) in the NT shows that:

3 Likes

Darwin CBD numbers are right up there with the best nationwide.
I feel like a national approach is needed to get remote areas on side, NT and WA seem to be equally struggling in this regard.

3 Likes

A question (and apologies if this has already been asked), but who actually knows someone who has had covid? Not a friend of a friend, not heresay, someone you actually know. I was speaking with a friend last night and she said she’s heard of multiple people who say it’s ‘just like a cold’, and is now starting to wonder if she did the right thing getting vaccinated.

I know someone who has had it last year and is still suffering breathing problems - that she never had before covid. Getting vaccinated is the right thing. Not only does it protect you but it will protect the vulnerable. Being selfish and saying it only affects some like a cold is the worst sort of attitude we can have.

3 Likes

My housemate had COVID in August last year, smack bang the middle of Victoria’s 2nd wave.

His main symptoms were muscle aches, fever, and lethargy, so the same thing you can expect from a bad flu.

However, he said the worst part of it all was feeling like he was on a never ending roller coaster ride - he’d feel fine one moment, and then 2 hours later feel like death and sleep for 18+ hours. Up and down for 2 weeks straight, not having any idea when he’d start feeling any better.

Having seen how it physically and mentally effected a 30 year old very healthy man (who was classed as a mild case), I can say 100% vaccination is definitely worth it.

Edited: spelling

5 Likes

QLD Update: Zero new local COVID cases overnight.

One of my best friends parents both had it last year during the second wave. His dad ended up in hospital but thankfully recovered. I also know of someone at work who had it last year too but he was on the more mild symptom side of things.

1 Like

Yep, couple of people at work. One of whom is a covid sceptic, described it as a bad flu. Not the smartest person I know.

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

Fingers crossed that Pfizer will eventually be approved for kids aged 5-11 AND that if/when approved, most responsible parents will get the jabs for their children.

3 Likes

I’m sure plenty will. Many of my family and friends with kids 12-15 are fervently seeking out the vaccines for their kids. They all want them double dosed when back at school. Good parenting.

Of course there’s a couple who refuse to and I and others will no longer be associating with those. We just can’t take the risk of spreading covid.

3 Likes

However, the population numbers were a heck of a lot lower back then than today. Under 2 billion globally to the nearly 8 billion today.

1 Like

The WA Government has released a new TV commercial urging people to get vaccinated.

1 Like

QLD Update. 1 new local case

New case linked to the Sunnybank cluster was detected in home quarantine and health authorities were “not worried”.

Police have charged a crew member of a reality TV show who allegedly sparked renewed Covid-19 lockdowns in Tweed and Byron shires with multiple breaches of public health orders.

New South Wales Police issued a statement on the 31-year-old I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here!

“Officers from Tweed Byron Police District commenced inquiries yesterday (Tuesday), after receiving information a woman from Greater Sydney had travelled to the area and since tested positive for Covid-19,” the statement read.

“Inquiries revealed the 31-year-old woman had been granted an exemption to travel to the area for work-related purposes only.

“She allegedly attended several businesses and venues in Byron Bay and Kingscliff over the weekend, which was in breach of the conditions of her exemption.”

NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said no new cases had been recorded in northern NSW.

More

1 Like