COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

The driver returned a negative test result in NSW on September 13 before arriving in WA on September 16.

Health Minister Roger Cook said it was understood the drivers slept in their truck and had minimal contact with others while in WA.

On their return journey they stopped at Chidlow and Southern Cross. They were in WA for less than 48 hours and left the State at 12.30am on September 18.

On September 19, the truck driver was again tested in NSW. This morning, NSW Health told WA authorities that the driver had tested positive for COVID-19.

The second driver has so far tested negative. The infected driver had received his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on August 30.

1 Like
1 Like

QLD Update: One new locally acquired case overnight. The case is linked to the Sunnybank cluster and has been in home quarantine.

2 Likes
1 Like

I get the point, however policing that will be a nightmare. My Westfield has probably dozens of entry points.

I don’t think the big retailers are on board either. Best and Less is the only one so far, Premier Investments here is putting the pressure on the malls, however not talking about its own specific stores.

Woolworths and Coles have already said they won’t be enforcing QR check-in, they haven’t, they have staff to ask/coach/assist, but if Mr or Mrs Maskless Anti-Vax wants to walk on in, in they go.

I even saw anti Dan shoppers last week without Masks and with Dictator Dan T Shirts on, they just walk right past the whole setup and attendant, couldn’t give two shits.

2 Likes

Police should be called and do some spot checks… it wouldn’t be too difficult to spot those without masks.

1 Like

What’s the point? Vaccinated people catch and spread covid too.

If you’re vaccinated - you’re protected.

1 Like

QLD: Waiting for a news conference were an announcement on masks is expected from the CHO.

Double donut day yesterday in QLD.

Minor changes to mask wearing - once seated you can remove masks - at stadiums, schools, restaurants - no need to wait for food.

Sotrovimab works by using artificial monoclonal antibodies – based on natural ones human bodies make – to bind to the spike protein on the virus, stop it from entering cells and helping fight off already infected cells.

Clinical trials found those who had a single dose showed a 79 per cent reduction in the risk of hospitalisation or death.

1 Like

Two walk-in vaccination hubs are open at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium today and tomorrow, available to anyone, not just those attending the NRL preliminary finals. The South Brisbane vaccination hub will open until 8pm tomorrow for people travelling into the CBD for Riverfire.

CHO Jeannette Young said she met rugby league legends Wally Lewis and Darren Lockyer this morning, and both men have been vaxxed.

2 Likes

These meds were being pushed hard by the pharmaceutical industry in the US over the past year…with national advertising campaigns.

The most obvious use for these treatments would be immunocompromised individuals who cannot be vaccinated, or a vaccine would be ineffective due to lack of immune response.

I’m all for these drugs being used for the genuinely immunocompromised or otherwise cannot be vaccinated, but the most perverse thing is that the vast majority of the use of these monoclonal antibodies will be for anti-vaxxers who have refused a cheap, readily available vaccine as a prophylactic treatment.

Once these people catch COVID and many of them take a turn for the worse, they’ll probably be begging for the hospital to inject them with these extremely expensive drugs (at the taxpayer’s expense) which also fit the same ‘experimental’/‘untested’/whatever criteria that they use to reject the COVID-19 vaccines. I know that it’s probably totally impractical to do this (people will pipe up about ‘slippery slope’, hospital systems not being set up for directly charging patients, etc.), but I think that if anyone rejects the COVID-19 vaccine, and ends up needing a monoclonal antibody infusion, they should be charged full price for the cost of the drugs (that’s $1,500-$2,500 per dose, and you may need more than one).

1 Like

Brazil has hit the 70% single dose. Huge achievement considering it hasn’t been made compulsory. While australia at 60% single dose has brought it in lines with places like Czech Republic and Hungary.

Previous MRNA allocations have been relessed

How about Annastasia yesterday saying ’where are you going to go? India’ in response to international travel before Christmas… before going on to say while in Japan she had to eat behind Perspex, which is clearly an Olympic protocol.

She is so out of touch with what is actually happening around the world outside of Queensland and Australia.

I have been on 8 international holidays since the pandemic began including 2 this summer and I have another couple of trips planned before the end of the year. All of these trips are for leisure and I have not eaten behind Perspex on any of those trips.

By calling out India she has shown a blatant disregard for the many Indian Australians who have family in India. In fact she has shown disregard for the many Queenslanders, like myself, who don’t live in Queensland.

I understand her reasons for her handling of the pandemic so far, but it is so short sighted 18 months on. The world has moved on and Queensland is stuck in 2020.

2 Likes

But Australia is 75% single dose and 50% double dose. So I am assuming you mean for total population then.

1 Like

Yep - they were absolutely disgusting comments.

Thats a critical footnote there, they’ve included the polish doses for all states except NSW in the table? Sneaky.

2 Likes

I am talking in a rough sense.

She had to use somewhere to make her point, I’m sure someone would still whinge if she said Antarctica. We need to stop being so sensitive at the drop of a hat. Unless there is a continuing pattern of her using India specifically or putting them down repeatedly we can take it as an off the cuff remark. That is common sense rather than jumping on the victim wagon. Last I heard, she was not a robot, but a human.

Interestingly India seems to be doing a lot better than they were only a few months ago.

2 Likes