COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

Thatā€™s just how I read it then.

I think he means new people be shifted to getting AZ or moderna and just leave Pfizer for those that need it for their second doses. That makes sense. I just hope there is enough of each of those to continue the rates they are going now.

1 Like

It will be interesting to watch the primary care numbers with Moderna coming online, especially in states like Victoria and SA where the states themselves have delivered a lot more of the vaccine compared to the rest of the country

1 Like

Correct. Thatā€™s what I meant.

Has any state started to talk about what isolation protocols look like once we are at 80% jabbed?

I canā€™t envision a world where we have people having visited a restaurant the same time as a covid positive person having to isolate for 14 days, especially given the incubation period is significantly less, surely the definition needs to change of what a close contact is and how long they must isolate for i.e. maybe a 3 or 5 day isolation or perhaps it is antigen at home testing prior to leaving the house for 14 days once a negative PCR test has been returned.

Hopefully we get some approval of rapid testing or something.

2 Likes

It has to change somewhat, youā€™d think if weā€™re open there will be a lot of cases and lots and lots of people forced into isolation - society also canā€™t function like that, workplaces would be reduced to skeleton staff too often potentially and that would be hugely detrimental to critical supply chains like supermarket distribution centres as an example.

2 Likes

Just look at what happened in the UK when they had so many people isolating because their app pinged then as being a close contact. There were maasive supply chain issues because of it.

2 Likes

Exactly. I havenā€™t heard how any govt in AU plan to handle it yet. But when we open that needs to be a consideration.

We donā€™t have the same app though.

A good day yesterday for Vic, ACT, and improved Saturday for QLD.

1 Like

A thought bubble Iā€™ve had on vaccination and how it affects cases/hospitalisations going forward- given that there will be a small minority that will outright refuse a vaccine, and that said minority will probably end up putting disproportionate pressure on the health system as we transition to living with Covid- should the government consider putting an additional levy of say 5% on top of the Medicare levy for those who havenā€™t been vaccinated with at least one dose by say January 31, 2022? I imagine by then the only holdouts will be the hardcore anti-vaxxers and maybe a few people who think ā€œit wonā€™t happen to meā€, and everyone else will have had at least 2-3 months to get vaccinated with their preferred choice (if they have been holding out).

This concept is already used in practice already- smokers pay big excises on cigarettes to help fund the health system and the effect of smoking-related diseases in putting pressure on the system, similar with alcohol to a lesser extent.

2 Likes

Probably the only additional tax measure I would actually support. Much better idea than handing out more of someone elseā€™s money for inoculations. The only question being those with a genuine medical exemption.

1 Like

Naturally, anyone who qualifies for an exemption would not be included in these measures (as I understand it, they will also be able to do things the same as those fully vaxxed as those restrictions lift).

I like it, similar principal to No Jab, No Pay. Something I could see the coalition might be useful for.

2 Likes

I like this idea.

1 Like

QLD Update: Zero local COVID cases overnight. Two cases in hotel quarantine (one from OS and one from NSW).

+56,000 vaccinations over the weekend equivalent to the population of Hervey Bay (where the media conference was held before a regional cabinet).

Dan Andrews mentioned the Pfizer supply issue again today - but what was really telling was his language, he indicated that it doesnt appear to be an issue that the feds have had any control over

Makes me wonder whether the deals with the UK, Singapore and Poland were an attempt to get over the projected shortage

1 Like

has this got much coverage? the victorian roadmap has a vaccine threshold for phase D of the national plan; 80% of 12+ fully vaccinated.

is that actually a part of the national plan or is it speculation from victoria? last i saw the national plan had a TBA for the phase D threshold.

with the speed that 12-15s are being vaccinated, it would be mathematically possible to reach the phase D threshold before reaching the phase C threshold.