COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Interesting though that they have all opened up Pfizer to over 60s in light of the UK doses and the surplus of supply this is providing. To me that suggests perhaps what is holding them back is a lack of urgency amongst the population to get vaccinated at the moment moreso than any supply constraints.

I’ve had very much the opposite, most of the young people I know are going out to get it. At my workplace there are only a handful of people who haven’t had one or booked in for one yet.

And where are you? I have had 4 teacher friends who have all be sceptical and have said they will wait and see. I am not exaggerating when I say every second person I know is having a wait and see attitude. Which really makes me worried about that 80% target by December.

In Adelaide CBD. Most of the people I know have either had one or are booked in for one. I do know a few people who are hesitant but that’s less than the amount who have had it.

You wonder what these people are waiting and seeing for? We’ve waited for and seen the outbreaks ans the only way for these to slow is by getting vaccinated.

Surely these people will be social pariahs when they can’t enter pubs, clubs, restaurants, stadiums, theatres etc.

1 Like

See I would be surprised if SA gets to 80%. I had a friend from the Riverland get hammered on social media for getting vaccinated. She had to delete her post. I really hope to get there for Christmas but it’s clear borders won’t be opening unless they get to the double dose of 80%.

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::pray::pray::pray: Please get to 80% double jabbed SA.

I’ll bang the drum of ‘just pay people’ again for what it’s worth. If there’s 1% of people who $500 would get them jabbed, that’s value for money vs lockdowns - even if talking about the states that are open right now - they are still locked down to the world until they get to 80%.

It won’t be long after Vic and NSW are 80% and open to eachother that the balance will flip - events will happen only in those states, because that’s the bulk of the population and the bulk of the money, and people will be absolutely raring to get back and doing stuff, so there’ll be big money in just avoiding the states that are shut ins.

Like the Cricket season - I reckon it’s far more likely we’d get 2 tests at the SCG than 0, why would you put up with WA’s strict quarantine when you can get a crowd in at a reopened NSW?

I expect we won’t coast to 80% outside of Vic/NSW/ACT where our freedoms are so strongly tied to that number - there’s enough collective stake in it. Tassie are also going really well - I wonder if other states can learn anything from their strategies?

2 Likes

QLD Update: 1 new local case - linked to Sunnybank cluster - detected in home quarantine.

“The person was quarantining at home during their infectious period so poses no risk to the community.
This brings the cluster to 11.”

Some comic relief courtesy of Peter Dutton - how long has the COVID elbow pump been around?

I am a little confused. Some states and territories are complaining that their vaccination allocation will be less than October. Why is that? I thought we were receiving more vaccines in the next few months not less.

All the vax swaps and extra allocations has changed this somewhat, but realistically it shouldn’t be an issue considering so many people have received their first dose significantly earlier than they otherwise would have.

This wasn’t unexpected tbh, the FDA made it very clear months ago that they wouldn’t recommend boosters without additional evidence that isn’t funded by big pharma so I’m guessing what has come out so far hasn’t been convincing enough.

Do wonder what precedent it’ll have on other parts of the world that are commencing booster rollouts soon.

QLD Update:

Zero new cases today

Super walkin vaccination weekend saw + 31,0004 vaccines administered yesterday up from 18,000 last Saturday. Media conference says that will bring the state to 60% first dose vaccination by tomorrow.

“Premier is warning that Delta could make it into the state at any time, making it the perfect time to get vaccinated”.

The Feds haven’t paid the bill?

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that we had much extra supply in September due to the Poland/UK swap deals so we won’t have that level of extra doses in October. Just the original amounts

Thankfully we now also have Moderna. So easy to shift to that and AZ for first doses if needed and use Pfizer for second doses and 12-15 year olds. Some states will mostly be doing second doses soon anyway.

I was of the thought the first and second doses are preferred to be the same type?

I never said anything about mixing vaccine types.